2000 3.0 Hydrolock

I have a 2000 3.0 GSPEFS and have had two incidents with hydrolock. Last time was last year and I suspected the riser gasket was at fault. Happened again forst outing this year. Both times exhaust manifold has water in it. I did the acetone test to check for cracks but it passed. Both times the starter has stripped out the planetary gear right away. I'm at a loss for what to look for next, any thoughts?

Attachments

• photo264916.jpg
    photo264916.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm no expert but I'll tell you what I know anyway.

If you have water in multiple cylinders I'd think either intake or exhaust - so having water in the exhaust manifold doesn't surprise me. I've experienced hydrolock when the motor overheated and I limped to the dock and shut her down. We replaced the water pump but then she wouldn't turn over at all. I'm guessing that as things cooled water got sucked into the exhaust system. In my case, I pulled all spark plugs from the V8-454 and cranked her over on and off for about 1/2 hr. Then I put in 4 new plugs (one side of the V8) and cranked on and off until I heard an errartic sound of firing. Then replaced the other 4 plugs.It took 8 or 10 tries but she finally sputtered back to life.

I imagine the reason they put flappers either in the bellows or on the leg is to prevent water from backing up into the system during a quick stop or while in reverse. Have you checked yours?

I like to let her idle for a spell before I turn her off.

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 2000 3.0 GSPEFS and have had two incidents with hydrolock. Last time was last year and I suspected the riser gasket was at fault. Happened again forst outing this year. Both times exhaust manifold has water in it. I did the acetone test to check for cracks but it passed. Both times the starter has stripped out the planetary gear right away. I'm at a loss for what to look for next, any thoughts?

What was happening when the hydro lock happened this time? Ride along and stop quickly, have a lot of folks sitting on the stern just talking. Big wave, or something else?

I'm no expert but I'll tell you what I know anyway.

If you have water in multiple cylinders I'd think either intake or exhaust - so having water in the exhaust manifold doesn't surprise me. I've experienced hydrolock when the motor overheated and I limped to the dock and shut her down. We replaced the water pump but then she wouldn't turn over at all. I'm guessing that as things cooled water got sucked into the exhaust system. In my case, I pulled all spark plugs from the V8-454 and cranked her over on and off for about 1/2 hr. Then I put in 4 new plugs (one side of the V8) and cranked on and off until I heard an errartic sound of firing. Then replaced the other 4 plugs.It took 8 or 10 tries but she finally sputtered back to life.

I imagine the reason they put flappers either in the bellows or on the leg is to prevent water from backing up into the system during a quick stop or while in reverse. Have you checked yours?

I like to let her idle for a spell before I turn her off.

My engine doesn't /never had flaps in the exhaust. So I believe the only thing stopping water is the riser itself.

No Title

What was happening when the hydro lock happened this time? Ride along and stop quickly, have a lot of folks sitting on the stern just talking. Big wave, or something else?

I'm not sure what happened, I am trying to sell the boat and someone was taking for a test drive. I was going to hop in after the boat launched but they kinda just took off....

I just know this happened last year and I replaced the riser gasket by the book, made sure restrict or plate was there, sprayed on the copper stuff and torqued the bolts.

It just makes me wonder since it has happened two times in a row that it wasn't a wave.

If I take my manifold to a mechanic will they be likely to do a pressure test for me without having the whole engine?

Here is a picture of my riser gasket surface after the old gasket was cleaned off

Attachments

• photo265586.jpg
    photo265586.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
The riser looks fine to me, and only way to pressure test the manifold is by its self. Only issue I see is what the folks you take it to would have to do to accomplish the task.

My thought is over time the boat may have gotten a little heavier and the riser needs to be higher to keep the water out. Merc shows it needs to be at least 13 inches above the water to top of riser

The riser looks fine to me, and only way to pressure test the manifold is by its self. Only issue I see is what the folks you take it to would have to do to accomplish the task.

My thought is over time the boat may have gotten a little heavier and the riser needs to be higher to keep the water out. Merc shows it needs to be at least 13 inches above the water to top of riser

Just came to me, I may be reaching here but tell me what you think.
I also remember that the last two times when I pulled the boat from the water there was alot more water in the bilge than mornal. Upon inspection I found that the hose clamp on the bellows had rubbed a small hole in the rubber letting water enter the bilge. How likely that this extra weight in the bilge plus passengers at the stern instead of the bow could have cause my issue?

alldodge

Staff member
Just came to me, I may be reaching here but tell me what you think.
I also remember that the last two times when I pulled the boat from the water there was alot more water in the bilge than mornal. Upon inspection I found that the hose clamp on the bellows had rubbed a small hole in the rubber letting water enter the bilge. How likely that this extra weight in the bilge plus passengers at the stern instead of the bow could have cause my issue?

Depending on how much water it could do just that.

As an example: a fellow iboater had an issue with a hydro lock. Boat had never done this before. To keep the story short, it was determined that the issue was everyone stopped and started floating in the water enjoying the water and sun. After a bit folks came out and sat on the stern, talking to others still in the water. At one point there where several folks sitting on or near the stern just talking to others in the water.

The issue was all that weight, made the boat sit lower, which caused water to come in the exhaust.

Just water for thought so to speak