Volvo Penta 5.7 GS PWTR

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Recently purchased new Barr manifolds and riser kit complete w gaskets and bolts. Plan to use the Volvo oem riser gasket and the included Barr Manifold gasket.

The riser mating surface has a coat of paint on it and i assume one wants to remove the paint using acetone rather than sanding or filing which could alter the fit. Any comments on whether one should replace the Barr gasket which is a different material vs the oem thinner but some type of metal gasket.

Stick w what the kit came w or use the volvo oem riser gasket which i habe a spare set of. Also wondering if one should paint the risers and manifolds w a high heat paint to assist in reducing future corrosion in addition to the factory spray?

I have gone 17 years on the stock man & risers , boat was fresh water till 2012 and been in salt since w neutra salt used religiously any time motor has been run. I am expexting 5-7 yrs out of the new kit probably will sell the 250SE before this type of service is needed again. Doing a big one this year, boat had 440hrs when bought and now at 705 here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

SeaEsta-12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did the same upgrade a few years back. I would recommend to sand the paint off the matting surface with a VERY find sand paper and DO NOT apply too much pressure. just enough to remove the paint. Id use the VP gasket as well.
Also, paint the risers and manifolds either before or after install. Which ever is easiest for you.
it will help with slowing down any rust in the future.

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did the same upgrade a few years back. I would recommend to sand the paint off the matting surface with a VERY find sand paper and DO NOT apply too much pressure. just enough to remove the paint. Id use the VP gasket as well.
Also, paint the risers and manifolds either before or after install. Which ever is easiest for you.
it will help with slowing down any rust in the future.

I am painting the risers and manifolds w a Rustoleum high heat flat black paint as we speak. Tomorrow once dry i plan to remove the paint on the mating surface w acetone/varsol or some paint remover. I will stay away from sanding just to be careful.

The Barr gasket looks thick and of good quality, not sure if i will go w the OEM Volvo gasket or the included Barr gasket. How have yours held up since the install and are you in the salt? If so how long? I have a large service this year, one i hope to not have to do again:).

dhardest

Seaman
I am also researching this same topic. My question is for those who have experience to share: Are the Barr manifolds and risers just as good as OEM, are there any work-arounds that you need to do in order to use Barr parts (water fittings, etc.)? For the OP of this thread, how was your experience installing these Barr manifolds/risers?

My manifolds and risers haven't been inspected in a few years so if they look to be in need of replacement, I wanted to know what the experts recommend as I get started. I have a 2007 VP 5.0 GXi-G.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I have used the Barr manifolds before, and thought they were very well made. In the USA I think. I like the Sierra 3.00$ gaskets and have never had a problem. I also used the 24.00$ Volvo spring gaskets, and I had my doubts with them. I also used the (Indian head) brand of gasket sealer on the risers, and on freeze plugs, with nary leak ever. Good luck Dave-R

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am also researching this same topic. My question is for those who have experience to share: Are the Barr manifolds and risers just as good as OEM, are there any work-arounds that you need to do in order to use Barr parts (water fittings, etc.)? For the OP of this thread, how was your experience installing these Barr manifolds/risers?

My manifolds and risers haven't been inspected in a few years so if they look to be in need of replacement, I wanted to know what the experts recommend as I get started. I have a 2007 VP 5.0 GXi-G.

the Barr manifolds and risers are quality, they fit as they should have and I used the oem violvo riser gasket and followed oem instriuctions recommending permatex be used. i used the Barr supplied gasket for the manifold and I have not had any issue. If there is any difference I believe it is a coating the oem manifolds and risers may have to aid in lasting longer but i expect at least 5-7 yrs in the salt with the Barr units and the neutra salt system i use. I would not hesitate to use them and save yourself a wack of cash. Several mechanics I inquired with only had solid things to say about Barr, I would choose it no problems at all