Exhaust noise

kenny7964

Cadet
Hi guys, I have a 1996 VP 4.3GL v6 In a 21 foot wellcraft cuddy. I have had this for 11 years now and have been looking at getting something newer but I haven't been able to find anything yet so decided to keep it for now.
Whilst looking a had a test in a regal with a 4.3 mercy with an alpha 1 outdrive and I could not believe how quiet it was compared to the volvo. Does anyone know anyway to quieten the Volvo exhaust note?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
is your volvo missing the exhaust bellows?

kenny7964

Cadet
Hi Scott,
No the bellows are there, the exhaust note has not changed in the 11 years I have owned the boat. I was just surprised how much quieter the 4.3 v6 mercy engine was. Even at 40 to 45 mph you could chat away to your passengers in my Volvo I have to shout. The noise difference is quite incredible.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
It might have something to do with the amount and quality of engine compartment insulation between the two boats and nothing to do with the engines exhaust.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
That or the fact that Merc is a thru-prop exhaust and Volvo exhaust exits out the anti-cav plate

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a 04 Caravelle with the Volvo 4.3 GXI and SX-M outdrive. And also notice it is louder then other boats. Would be nice if it was quieter but learned to live with it.

kenny7964

Cadet
Hi guys, sorry been off line as busy at work. thanks for your answers. Looks like I will need to get used to it again. It's wasn't an issue before the test drive so sure I can live with it a few more years.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
My SX has the thru hub exhaust and also a couple of Holes that are above the anti-vent plate. I never thought it was loud. Perhaps you are hearing induction noise, it can be as noisy as exhaust.