Need Wiring Diagram

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
I have been gone awhile but I'm back.

I recently picked up a new project boat and for the life of me I cant find a wiring diagram that matches mine.

The boat is a 1997 Monterey Montura with a 5.7. The original engine was cracked so I ordered a reman.

I found out that I have a bastard child of an engine. Its an 880 block with a 2 barrel holley and a non-Vortec top end, also it has a mechanical fuel pump.The engine I ended up buying for it is a Vortec along with a Holley four barrel and an electric fuel pump. All is installed and running well.

The problem I am having is the previous owner did a number on the wiring and none of the gauges are working. I have looked for diagrams but all the ones I find have electric fuel pumps installed and have a green wire coming from the alternator (I dont have) and doesn't show wires for electric choke. I just cannot find a match for what I have.

Attached is the tag I removed from the old engine.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• photo264275.JPG
    photo264275.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
look them up in the manuals http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

not sure, however us this one as a start http://boatinfo.no/lib/volvo/manuals/by_elect.html#/152

the engine wiring in all boats is standard - click the google link and look at images. the first one to pop up shows all the colors and what they do

https://www.google.com/search?q=sae+...ntu&channel=fs

ColorItemUse
RedDC Positive ConductorPositive Mains
Black or YellowDC Negative ConductorReturn, Negative Mains
Green

or Green w/ Yellow Stripe
DC Grounding ConductorBonding System

Bonding Wires (if insulated)
BrownGenerator ArmatureGenerator Armature to Regulator
Alternator Charge LightGenerator Terminal/Alternator Auxiliary Terminal to Light to Regulator
PumpsFuse or Switch to Lights
GreyNavigation LightsBonding Wires (if insulated)
TachometerTachometer Sender to Gauge
OrangeAccessory FeedAmmeter to Alternator or Generator Output and Accessory Fuses or Switches
Common FeedDistribution Panel to Accessory Switch
PinkFuel GaugeFuel Gauge Sender to Gauge
PurpleIgnitionIgnition Switch to Coil & Electrical Instruments
Instrument FeedDistribution Panel Electrical Instruments
Brown w/ Yellow StripeBilge BlowersPositive Mains (particularly unfused)
Yellow w/ Red StripeStarting CircuitStarting Switch to Solenoid
TanWater TemperatureWater Temperature Sender to Gauge
Green/Stripe (G/x)

(except G/Y)
Tilt Down and/or Trim InTilt and/or Trim Circuits
Blue/Stripe (Bl/x)Tilt Up and/or Trim OutTilt and/or Trim Circuits

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
I've been to boatinfo and the manuals I do see are hardly legible, plus nothing matches what I have. Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
Not a VP guy, but have wiring diagrams for 5.7 GL, A, B, C/D, G/E

Your tag shows 57GL PLKD, so which is it?

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
I don't know. I think I've been through all of those and couldn't find a match. If you have a link I'll have another look. This is the 1st VP I have worked on.

Fun Times

Staff member
I don't believe the manual to your engine model will be found online anywhere and unfortunately Don's 4shared links are no longer active as he used to pass them out when needed. Even the correct manual part numbers for this engine seemed pretty hard to locate now as Volvo just changed their website around some.. Guess you could either try forum member Muc first by PM then maybe call him if he's interested to order / sell one or have a local Volvo dealer run your serial number to see if they can give you the part numbers and buy one from them or search the part numbers online, iboats or EBay too.