new engine Crate motor??? 5.7 Gm

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can I order a new crate motor from JEGS? If so which one, truck? what will have a similar cam? I will change head gaskets, it seems weird that I can purchase a new engine way cheaper than a rebuilt,,,,,,,, Advise appreciated

tpenfield

Staff member
Can I order a new crate motor from JEGS? If so which one, truck? what will have a similar cam? I will change head gaskets, it seems weird that I can purchase a new engine way cheaper than a rebuilt,,,,,,,, Advise appreciated

Why couldn't you :noidea:

Might be better to order a 'marine' purposed long block. Michigan motorz might be better than JEGS in that regard. That way you have less to fiddle with in terms of cam, core plugs and head gasket. Your fuel and electrical systems will need to come over from presumably the prior engine.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Replacement Chevy truck long block crate motors already come with composite head gaskets, 'n ssteel core plugs,....

Last 1 I swapped came from a GM Dealer in Indiana I believe,....
The Only thing not Marine 'bout it is the warranty,... so We don't tell 'em it's goin' in a boat,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Jegs and Summit also sell Marine duty motors

Alan Lloys

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a Goodwrench 350 engine in my boat.
It came with it when I bought it used but I wanted to rebuild it and make sure it was good for Marine use.

I have spent a lot of time looking through all the different part numbers and have compared the engines part for part.
There are only 3 differences between the crate engines and the Volvo engines:
- Head gasket - need to replace with one with SS rings unless you have closed cooling system.
- Core plugs - need to replace with brass plugs in all the water passages. I replaced all my plugs with a marine kit but I found that the plugs in the oil passages are still steel in the marine kit.
- Camshaft. The standard one that comes in the 260 hp crate engine is actually pretty close to the marine version but it has just a tad more overlap. I used it as is for a short time but then put in a proper marine camshaft when I had the engine out.

The only downside is that the crate engines comes with the dished pistons. I can see on the original Volvo engine that they have the same dished pistons.
If you are going to upgrade you can go to flat top pistons to get a little better compression ratio.