Volvo Penta SX outdrive leaks oil when trimed up

JesseRuiz

Seaman Apprentice
At the end of the summer I went to pick up my boat from storage and I saw that the outdrive must have lost pressure because it was sitting in the dirt. I forgot to tie it up as you usually do, so I turned on the battery and raised it up, but then I noticed some oil dripping from the outdrive which worried me. I was far away from home so I just tied it up and towed it home for winter. I'm now starting to get the boat ready for summer. I checked my fluids and lowered the unit and ran it on muffs. The next day I went to raise the unit and it went up without any problems but I got a small puddle of oil. The 4 hydraulic lines seem to not leak but there seems to be leak where a 5th small hose connects near the exhaust bellow (I think that's what it is). Forgive me I'm far from a boat mechanic but I'm hoping it just an o-ring I can replace but I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Please see the attached photos, they show where I believe the oil is coming from.

By the way what fluid is this hose it carrying?

Boat:
1994 Glastron SSV 175
3.0GL D-MMDA
SX Outdrive

Attachments

• photo263698.jpg
    photo263698.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 9
  • photo263699.jpg
    photo263699.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 10

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class
The "hose" is actually your shift linkage that shifts the outdrive into forward, neutral, and reverse. The only oil that is remotely close to that location is the gear oil in your outdrive and not the trim. Did you check the oil in the outdrive?

JesseRuiz

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. Well that's a bummer, I was hoping I was onto something. I did check the outdrive level and it looked good, it was to the notch on the dipstick. I guess what I can do is have someone trim up and down while I watch closely and try to pin point where the leak is coming from. Seemed to be out of that area because it was real oily and the ground marked the spot of the drip, while the hydraulic connections were all bone dry. At first I thought it was hydraulic related since the outdrive will drop overtime. I may check that also and see how long it takes for it to drop on its own.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What is the level of your trim fluid reservoir? It should be ATF in there - what color is the fluid?

JesseRuiz

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Ok so I have no idea where the hydraulic fluid goes, I looked near the pump and there is no reservoir, what am I missing here, see photo. Also I did see a lil crack in one of the lines but it just looks like an outer covering the line is still intact see photo. I also trimmed up down multiple time and nothing leaked. I'm going to leave my boat trimmed up to see if it drops on its own and how long it takes. One thing about the last time it leaked was that is was trimmed down for 24hrs before I lifted it and that's when the fluid puddled out.

Attachments

• photo263767.JPG
    photo263767.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 4
  • photo263768.JPG
    photo263768.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 4

Thalasso

Commander
I don't see how any trim fluid or any fluid as far as that goes can get where your picture shows. That is your shift cable and it goes through the gimble ring and up through a hose behind the engine.
You shouldn't be storing your drive in the up position. It's hard on the bellows

JesseRuiz

Seaman Apprentice
So I rechecked the outdrive gear oil this morning and it's still above the notch. I can't put the outdrive all the way down though because my trailer sits low and the concrete prevents me from going any lower. Since this morning the outdrive hasn't lost any pressure. I'll see tomorrow where that's at, also the small oil puddle only appeared after I ran it the night before, then I trimmed the outdrive up. Tomorrow I will run some more tests maybe run the engine again and see if that gets some oil because up down on the trim with a cold engine seems to do nothing. Thanks everyone I'll keep you all posted of any developments.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Take the back cover off the drive. There are 3 screws. If there was oil leaking out of the shift shaft, it would be possible for oil to migrate over to where the shift cable enters the drive.

JesseRuiz

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Take the back cover off the drive. There are 3 screws. If there was oil leaking out of the shift shaft, it would be possible for oil to migrate over to where the shift cable enters the drive.

I removed the cover and you were right there is oil in there, see photos. So this is gear oil correct? It makes sense that when I lift the drive it leaks out through that area where the shift cable is.

My outdrive also dropped about 10in overnight, so it is loosing pressure but I don't think it's leaking, so it's probably just bleeding back into its reservoir.

So what should be my next step be?

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• photo263803.JPG
    photo263803.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 7
  • photo263804.JPG
    photo263804.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 7
  • photo263805.JPG
    photo263805.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 7

JesseRuiz

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

After I cleaned out everything it looks like a bad shift shaft seal. You can see the leak in the attached photo.

Attachments

• photo263808.JPG
    photo263808.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 8

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Replace the shift shaft seal and then pressure and vacuum test.

JesseRuiz

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Bruce and everyone for your help. After watching a few YouTube videos I decided I'm going to take it into a shop. I don't have the tools to replace the seal or test the pressure. I've got a couple phone quotes ranging from $400-$560 to reseal the upper unit and refill with new fluid.

Thanks,
Jesse

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
By all means, if you dont feel comfortable with replacing that seal then have a shop do it. If you have any experience with working on thing of that nature I would give it a go. Its really not that hard to replace that seal. Just hate to see someone pay so much for something that you may be able to do. You can make a pressure tester for much less than $400.

And just an FYI, you should always store the boat with the outdrive in the down position. Since they are 'resealing the upper' maybe check into getting the bellows replaced also.

JesseRuiz

Seaman Apprentice
So after watching this YouTube video numerous times. I've decided to attempt the job myself. I'll also make my own pressure tester, I've found some diy plans with a bike pump. I ordered the new seals and gaskets and they'll be here Friday so I'm going for it, I figure worst case I can't get it done, I'll then take it into a shop.

Ill keep you all posted!

Thanks,
Jesse

JesseRuiz

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Just a little update, I drained the oil from the outdrive and the first quarter came out a little muddy, then it went to dark oil. I took off the gear shift cover and I'm just waiting for the seals to get here today so i can re-assemble it all tomorrow and start vacuum/pressure testing.

Attachments

• photo264326.JPG
    photo264326.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 7
  • photo264327.JPG
    photo264327.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 7