Volvo penta engine oil and out drive oil

robert s75

Cadet
I have a 2008 5.0 L GL Volvo Penta, and need to change oil and out drive oil. I have had all mercruisers in the past, so I would like to know what you would recommend using. The out drive is a SX-A.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what does your manual tell you to use?

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I use Mobil 1 synthetic 15-50w for my engine and Amsoil 75-90 synthetic GL5 for my drive. Engine oils have improved in the last nine years. mine called for straight 30W, I feel the synthetic 15-50 is superior now to what was called for back in `08. What ever brand drive oil you choose, make sure it is GL5 rated, something to do with the clutches.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My 5.0 GL and SX-M calls for:
VP's Synthetic gear oil and 15w/40 SAE

robert s75

Cadet
I don't have a manual boat didn't come with one, I did ask though. Thanks for the help, I'm having my trim cylinders rebuilt now, looking forward to getting all done and on the lake.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
Like BRICH1260, I also used Amsoil 76-90 synthetic GL5. I did a lot of online research before I finally settled on that oil. There are others choices out there as well.

Insomnium

Seaman
I use Mobil 1 synthetic 15-50w for my engine and Amsoil 75-90 synthetic GL5 for my drive. Engine oils have improved in the last nine years. mine called for straight 30W, I feel the synthetic 15-50 is superior now to what was called for back in `08. What ever brand drive oil you choose, make sure it is GL5 rated, something to do with the clutches.

I have been warned away from any oils with Limited Slip additives. Most shelf GL5 rated oils are now including limited slip additives. Supposedly its not good for the cone clutch

Last edited:

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been warned away from any oils with Limited Slip additives. Most shelf GL5 rated oils are now including limited slip additives. Supposedly its not good for the cone clutch

That is the same information that I found in my research. It eliminates most of the gear oils that one can buy in the auto parts stores.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

Amsoil marine gear lube does not have the Limited Slip LS additives in it. Amsoil made the Volvo brand oil a few years ago, I do not know who makes it now.