Steering Actuator Leak

phanisch

Recruit
Good morning all! So brand new to this forum as well as to the wonderful world of boating (most days at least). I am not mechanically inclined as you will soon notice from this post, so please bare with me. Long story short, have a 2003 Regal 2900 LSR, 80 hours, w/ an 8.1 Volvo Penta. Sounds good on paper but the boat has been a pain ever since I got it about 2 years ago. Most recently, I had to have the Power Steering Pump and Pulley replaced. Than toward the tail end of the season last year, I noticed excessive power steering fluid in the bilge, which would indicate a steering actuator leak. My question to you boat experts, with the mechanic just having replaced the pump and pulley, would the issue with the actuator be completely separate and unrelated to that repair or should I have them come back out to fix this issue as well? Basically I don't want to pay more money if this is something that should have been corrected with the pump and pulley replacement. This boat has been a money pit, so any insight would be very helpful! Thank you in advance, Peter

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If he replaced the lines between the pump and actuator, then maybe it's leaking from a failed fitting or bad line. However, it is not uncommon for the actuator to leak, I just rebuilt mine. Possibly sediment or garbage from when the pump was replaced made its way to the actuator and is causing a seal failure. Hard to tell without more info. Where exactly is the leak coming from?