Volvo Penta 3.0 Exhaust Manifold blocked by exhaust tube arm

jocko755

Cadet
I am trying to replace a cracked manifold on my Volvo Penta 3.0. I removed the riser, carburetor, and altenator. I removed all the screws and nuts, but the manifold will not come off as the exhaust tube blocks the last stem bolt. I will try the double nut trick to remove the stem, but if I don't have enough room, what if I remove the exhaust arm? It looks like 4 bolts? Only problem is access as it's under the motor and looks like a tough blind job. Anyone encounter this? Is it possible to remove the exhaust arm? Whats the best tatic to pull the manifold?

I read somewhere that the head would need to be pulled or even pull the engine out. Seems extreme since I am so close to finished.

Many thanks for advice.

jw

Bondo

Staff member
but the manifold will not come off as the exhaust tube blocks the last stem bolt. I will try the double nut trick to remove the stem, but if I don't have enough room, what if I remove the exhaust arm?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Pullin' that stud outa the head is the best way to go,...

Ya gotta pull the motor, to get at the down-pipe to remove it,....

jocko755

Cadet
Success! That worked. Makes me want to choke the design team - really stupid lay out. Won't let me post pictures, but many thanks Bondo for saving me many hours of frustration. I will clean it up and reverse the process to install the new one. AND do a better job at winterizing. But I think it's the original manifold 17 years or older, so it may just have been its time. Thanks again,

Anyone doing a internet search having the same issue, THIS works!

jocko755

Cadet
Ordered the BARR replacement for $ 282.00 including hardware and gaskets. However, I don't think it comes with a gasket for the carb? I'm sure I will need to replace that as well. Right?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Gaskets are generally Not reusable,....

TulsaTime

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, I'm about to embarge on this job. I don't understand about "pulling that stud outa the head" statement. I surely do not want to pull the engine!
Please explain or may have pictures?
Thanks,

Boat
2006 Stingray, 185LS , 3.0 Volvo Penta GLP-D

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... A stud is a bolt without a head, but with threads on both ends,....

The 1 in question, is screwed into the head, the manifold slides on, then a nut on the outer end provides the clampin' forces necessary to hold the manifold on,...
When tryin' to take the manifold Off,...
Jocko's manifold hit the down-pipe, so it wouldn't come off,... No clearance,...

The cure to to put 2 nuts on the outer end of the stud, Cinch 'em together, Tight,... it's called "Double nuttin' it",....
Then screw the stud outa the head usin' a wrench on the inner nut,...

TulsaTime

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Bondo! I'll Give it a go! Appreciate all the information.
Cheers!