fuel pump relay is not energizing on start up -

fastfunco

Recruit
hello to all- I am new to this forum and in need of some help. Im working on a 1999 Crownline 238 with a carbureted Volvo penta 5.7 - The problem is over the last few years sometimes she starts and sometimes she does not - I have found that the fuel pump relay Is not getting energized to start the pump when it will not start-
If I jump the relay - fuel pump kicks on and engine fires right up. I have looked over the regular spots many times now trying to find a Oil Pressure switch and im almost positive there is not one on this motor- there is plugs in oil passages on both sides of the block and above oil filter - the only thing I can find is a single wire sender behind manifold for the gauge. This problem started as intermittent and now it is a failure- seems it should be an easy fix but I can not find the source that is in charge of triggering the fuel relay - usually it is an oil pressure switch- but I sure can not find one- I even stole my wifes mirror - 18 inches by 3 ft and put it in the bilge so no matter where im at above- I can see the whole underside of the motor- do not see a switch anywhere- can you guys help?

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's not using a sending unit, it receives power from starter during cranking and alternator during running. If it used a oil pressure switch it would take to much cranking before pressure switch closed to turn pump on.