2005 VP SX-M Painting Sterndrive

gerkom

Recruit
First - A Big Thank You to all of the Subject Matter Experts on iboats. You rock.

After looking for info I now have the out drive sitting - on a modified motorcycle stand - in my garage for the next steps.

Things I?ve Learned: The BELL HOUSING is the part the out drive bolts to and moves up and down on two pivot pins on the sides of the gimbal ring. The GIMBAL RING moves side to side on two swivel shafts (the bottom one you removed) in the GIMBAL HOUSING which is bolted to the transom. (hat tip Sonyloam)

QUESTION
Is it possible to remove both pieces by just removing the Gimbal Ring (mounts on top and bottom of the Transom) from the Transom? I have searched for info on this process but have not found any topics. I would like to know the common obstacles in this next process to determine if I need or want to do this to repaint.the drive.

I am very mechanical and can take an engine or a manual gearbox down to the last shim, put it back together, and get it running. Every time I do this I am surprised it runs again.I mean astounded. I understand the brilliance of the engineers that designed it so simpletons like myself can work on them. I think I can do this but would like to know if I am getting in over my head. I am very good at following directions.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Gerry K.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
You can remove the gimble ring and pivot housing as one unit by removing the two large bolts at the top of the gimble ring while tapping out the large bottom pin.

gerkom

Recruit
BRICH1260 Thanks for the help.

I did it. The Transom Shield is the only piece still on the boat. I will refinish it there.

For the Gimbal Ring puller I used the 9/16 by 18 thread with two 2 inch washers as recommended in another post (it seems the Volvo Penta puller is obsolete and is about $150. I spent $4.30 at Ace Hardware).

I'm stoked. I'll separate the Gimbal Ring and the Bell Housing then I am going into the next phase of refinishing. Then the re-install. Goal is by Mid-May.

Thanks again for all the Subject Matter Experts. This has been great so far.

Gerry K.