Idle adjustment while on muffs/hose?

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey all,

While I was dewinterizing the boat yesterday and running the engine I noticed it was idling around 1000-1100 RPM even when up to temp. I diagnosed it as some slack having developed in the throttle cable which is keeping the throttle from returning fully and bumping up against the idle stop screw. Anyway, I am familiar with procedure to adjust idle via disconnecting the cable, setting the idle stop screw, and readjusting/reattaching the cable. What I'm unclear on is whether this procedure can be accurately done while the boat is on the trailer running on a hose? Does the lack of exhaust backpressure affect idle rate? Am I better off dropping it in the water first?

Engine is VP 4.3 GL-P, 2bbl Demon carb

Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Drop it in the water, yes the back pressure changes engine loading and idle speed

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm not saying it is correct, but I set my 5.0 GL idle based when on muffs and didn't notice a change when actually in the water. Of course tweaking it later when you are on the water isn't hard either.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My 5.0GL has 75-100RPM difference in forward idle while on muffs vs. in the water. I factored that in when I set the idle in the driveway, then tested again in the water to verify and it was right on.