1995 5.0 volvo water pump impeller replacement

hoot

Chief Petty Officer
1995 Volvo 5.0 Ford engine in a Chris Craft, water pump is belt driven at lower starboard side of boat. Has two different size of hoses coming into back plate. I think impeller needs replacing as engine is starting to run a little warmer than last year. Anyone have any tips or links or Youtube link showing how this is done? Wondering if it is easier to pull pump off engine or leave on and try to work from the back side. Not sure what correct part number will be at this time either. Help is appreciated.

southkogs

Staff member
hoot - Moved ya' to the Volvo section to see if we can get some answers rollin'.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
OEM part number is 21951346 or 3862281. My suggestion is only use the OEM impeller. You should be replacing every 2 to 3 years.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]As far as pulling the pump or not, I pull mine because it's easier that way. Depends on your access. Mine uses the exact same pump as yours.[/FONT]

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
On my Chris Craft I didn't remove the pump. I just removed the back of the pump with the hoses still attached and pulled the impeller out with needle nose pliers. The hardest part was lining up the new gasket to the bolt holes, but it was doable with the space my boat has.