volvo penta dpa bellows inspection

beehappy

Recruit
Is there a way to inspect the bellows or should it just be replaced based on time. I recently bought a boat. The bellows was replaced ten years ago during a rebuild of the sterndrive. it looks good. the boat has been stored on a trailer , well maintained. replies will be appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
With any new to you boat, do all the maintenance:

New bellows
Align motor
Check gimble
Inspect u-joints
Change gear lube
Change engine oil
New cap, rotor, wires, plugs

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
U-joint bellows should be replaced every 5 years. Time to replace. Store with the drive down. Use OEM bellows.

beehappy

Recruit
thanks you to both responses. does it need to go to a volvo mechanic or is it possible to be done at home. what is the skill level required.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I do mine at home. All depends on your skill level. If you are comfortable with auto repair like changing out alternators, brakes and such, it should be something you can handle.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
With the DPA, your going to want to pull the whole drive eventually, however there is a shortcut to just pull the upper gear box. Its in the DIY stickies

You will want to change the water inlet casting too. They last about 5 years in fresh water and about 2 years in salt. Not much you can do to keep them from corroding.