2004 Volvo Penta 4.3GLC riser options

wausedboater

Recruit
I have a 1978 Glaply 21 with a 170 engine and AQ 280 outdrive. The engine has 2300 hours. It runs good but I'm preparing for the time when it quits. Toward that end, I recently purchased a VP 4.3GLC with supposedly low hours. It was not used in salt water and doesn't have a closed (freshwater) cooling system. The risers look really good but several folks have told me these risers will not be compatible with the AQ280 outdrive in the boat. I believe these folks because the top surface of the risers are parallel to the engine. Illustrations I've seen show the risers on 4.3.setups with an AQ280 are angled down.

I know that I'm going to have to get several items (lower unit with appropriate ratio, maybe different bell housing, appropriate Y pipe, etc.).

Two questions that seem to have a variety of answers are: (1) Is there specific year series of riser that I need? (2) Do I need to replace the manifolds or are the manifolds standard and my 2004 manifold will accept any riser that is compatible with the Y pipes etc needed to link a 2004 engine to the 1978 outdrive?

Any clarification on requirements will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark