Oil and Sand in Bellow

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I removed the outdrive today to service to prepare for the summer. I found a good bit of oil in the bellows and sand in the entry way. There was also obvious oil on the shifter side. I think the oil was overfilled because when I removed the screw next to the shifter it gushed out.

Besides cleaning everything up really good and greasing the gimbal bearing and u-joint and splines, what do I need to do about the oil? Also can I spray down the u-joint and everything with water, maybe even pressure washer?

Edit: outdrive is a volvo penta sx-m 1999

Pictures attached.
Thanks

Attachments

• photo261195.jpg
    photo261195.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo261197.jpg
    photo261197.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo261196.jpg
    photo261196.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo261198.jpg
    photo261198.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 1

alldodge

Staff member
Suggest pressure testing your drive. From the sand, your water seal is leaking, from the oil, your drive needs a new seal

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you. Do I need to remove the pivot housing to get to that seal?

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
The oil is probably from a bad seal(s) but I am perplexed where the sand would come from. Your outdrive "nose" looks very dry. It should show an abundance of grease. I'd drain the oil and put a vacuum/pressure tester on the case, looking for a leak.

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I don't know how the sand got in but It was probably because of me. This is my first boat and we recently took it out on its maiden voyage. I gently pulled up on a beach in mission Bay in San Diego. We were only there for about 10 minutes but when I went to back it out we were already kind of stuck and I really had to throttle it and rock the boat to get it off the beach. There was sand kicking up all over. So I think alldodge is right and it came through the water passage seal.

I will try to put together a pressure tester of some sort. How about getting to the drive seal? The manual isn't very clear on that.

alldodge

Staff member
My main concern with sand is it gets sucked in by the pump and the sand will damage the impeller. Watch your temp closely and if it starts to rise, your going to need to change it. Suggest when your at a beach, push the boat off the beach, then climb in and start the motor. If you toss an anchor off astern, it can be used to pull you back out into the water.

With lube oil in the bellows, the upper drive shaft seal would be leaking. Look in the adults only section of how to make a pressure tester and how to test

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would go with new input shaft seal, new bellows, new impeller, new o-ring / gasket as well as a pressure / vacuum test

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
There are plenty of DIY posts on how to build an outdrive tester. If you don't want to go out shopping or looking for parts and pieces, there is one available on ebay. I have one and it's a simple way to get the job done.

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks guys. I just put one together with a bicycle pump, gear oil pump, and valve from a bicycle tire. First results are that air is leaking through the shifting seal. I am going to repair that first and then retest. I don't know if I can handle replacing the seal on the drive shaft myself, it seems very involved. Any pointers would be appreciated.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The sand looks like dried up water deposits. Not a concern. It's on the outside of the bellows. There is no water seal on a Volvo. Totally normal.

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I dropped off the drive shaft and pinion housing at the shop today so they can re-seal it for me. They estimate about 1 hour of time which seems worth it. I picked up a new bellows and seal and o-ring for the shift mechanism while I was there. I found out the Volvo Penta has modified the bellows to a harder plastic that is supposed to last longer. The mechanic told me they are tough to get on so I'll let you know how it goes.

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was able to get half of the bellows attached so far. I first removed the snap ring and rear connection of the exhasut bellows to make some room. I tried to use bellows adhesive but had some problems. I am pretty sure it was already dry by the time I actually got the front of the bellows into position and clamped on. next will be securing the rear of the bellows and the same for exhaust bellows. I had also removed the water hose and nipple so I need to get a new o-ring for that and put it back on.
Then I'll work on the shifter seal. The shop called and have completed resealing the drive shaft and are only charging me .75 hours.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Did you remove the pivot housing pivot bolts? No need to touch the exhaust bellows if you do. This is an easy job when you do that.

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I did not but was wondering about that. I wanted to try it so I went to O'Reillys to get the 1/2" hex but they didn't have it. Do you have to do some kind of recalibration of the trim sending unit after disconnecting it?
Also, do you think I'll have any problems since I basically installed without bellows adhesive?

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Making some progress. I think I have the bellows installed correctly. It is not perfectly flush all the way around on the rear side. Take a look at the pic and let me know your thoughts. I used gasket sealer.

When re-installing the exhaust bellows I wasn't quite sure where the snap ring goes. Within the pivot housing or just outside of it. See pic please.

Finally, on the shifting mechanism, I can't drive the small pin through the larger pin. It won't budge. Maybe my punch is too small as it is going down the pin but the pin isn't moving. I am going to take it to the shop and get some tips.

Attachments

• photo261570.JPG
    photo261570.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261571.JPG
    photo261571.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 0

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No that is gasket sealing compound. That is what the manual shows and my boat mechanic. Seem alright?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would have tried to not get it on the surface of the bellows that touch the nose of the upper gear housing. Probably ok. Make sure you smear some grease on it before installing the drive. Helps it seal better.

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got it on the grease, thanks. I couldn't help getting everywhere, it it was all over my fingers once I started wrestling with it.