Gimbel berring

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm assuming when this berring is going out. Or has....there is a lot of noise comming from the outdrive.......
New to this and my 4.3 while running with muffs is quite the rattle.......

Is this going to break the bank!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... A failin' gimbal bearin' is usually quiet when the drive is trimmed down, 'n straight behind the boat,...

Like u-joints, the noise starts when ya trim it up, or turn left or right,....

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
So is it going to be an inspection tear down. Been watching some YouTube videos looks like something I need to take my time with....

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
With the trim up running on muffs I can hear and feel some vibration pounding noise......down it goes away....is that the u joints?

alldodge

Staff member
With the trim up running on muffs I can hear and feel some vibration pounding noise......down it goes away....is that the u joints?

Depends on how high it is trimmed up. If its up more then trim limit, then its to high to begin with. If it is within the trim limit then could be either bearing or u joints.

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
The bellows look great.......from what I'm reading they usually go out if water gets in there.....the boat is 12 yrs old and I can't see evidence of the lower unit being removed.....but I'm sure with in that time they have been replaced......

alldodge

Staff member
The boots leaking cause water to get in, and that causes other things to be needed. Replaced my boots for the first time on my Rinker after 21 years, and they were still ok

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
The boots leaking cause water to get in, and that causes other things to be needed. Replaced my boots for the first time on my Rinker after 21 years, and they were still ok

Got it! Thanks.....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Pull the drive and inspect the bearing. You will know instantly if it needs to be changed or not. You will also see if there is water in the bellows.

BTW, Dons was the guru on I/Os on here. He passed a way a couple years ago. He said to replace bellows every 5 years.

Last edited:

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thx...yes I think I'm gonna have to do an inspection. Getting older and fatter it's difficult to do things like this anymore...

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I`d pull it and take a look if it looks like it has never been pulled before. It`s really not that hard to do but intimidating the first time. You will need to make a cart to rest the drive on as you separate it. Pull it and check bellows, gimbal, U-joints, ect. Better to do it now before the peak of the season starts.

We can help guide your through the process. You need to tell us what model of drive you have. Volvo Penta SX?

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
so if i pull the transit will i need the alinement tool to reinstall?

I'm thinking all that needs done is the u joints....hopefully just grease them

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok, I havent bought parts and dont have the alinment tool, I had rather pull it apart and see what ive got. before ordering parts,
think I;m gonna tackle this tomorrow.....Im getting older and have a bad back and afraid it's too heavy for me. my boat has a swim platform that sticks out pretty far. have to bend down all the time. but i'll have a young man here tomorrow to help...i know to build a platform but just in case. I'll take pics and try my best to document everything.....

thanks again for all the help ev1