4.3gxi injector cleaning after finding the dreaded paint chips?

monster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I replaced the original fuel pump four years ago after it failed. I replaced the unit and haven't had problems since. I received a bulletin from Volvo to replace the screen on the fuel pressure regulator with an e clip. I changed it out but discovered the screen on the pressure regulator covered in paint chip goo. The boat ran noticeably better after taking out the clogged screen. It just seems to run smoother now. There isn't and wasn't any miss, stumble, hesitation or rough idling. The boat is able to maintain WOT and seem to have as much power as it always has. My question is should I service the injectors? If the regulator screen was plugged, what's to say the injector screens done have the same build up? I could be wrong but I'd think if the injectors weren't getting proper fuel delivery then the boat wouldn't run right and would have lost performance. Ive just been told that if there's paint plugging the injectors then the engine could run lean and sustain damage. Thoughts?

alldodge

Staff member
Ive just been told that if there's paint plugging the injectors then the engine could run lean and sustain damage.

This is correct. You could pull them and have them cleaned and flow tested for about $20 each.