2001 volvo 4.3 head pattern

Regal_Dave

Cadet
Hey, my first post so forgive me if I asked to many questions. I have a 2001 Volvo Penta 4.3, I need to know the head torque lbs and pattern and do I need to get new Head bolts or can I use the old ones?

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
Regal Dave, look for the label on your engine. My label is on the engine by the circuit breakers.

Regal_Dave

Cadet
Thanks guys for the information! Found out my block is cracked, so I won't be needing manuals. This sucks!

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had same prob with boat I bought. Check your local machine shop as he/she might have a core laying around that they can machine for you. Was least expensive method to absolve the problem. More to it than just that though....

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys for the information! Found out my block is cracked, so I won't be needing manuals. This sucks!

How did you determine the block is cracked? Last summer a member thought the same thing (cracked block) and it turned out the intake was cracked.

Regal_Dave

Cadet
I pulled the intake and the heads off, right on top of the block about a 6 inch crack. About $6k for a new Longblock

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
I pulled the intake and the heads off, right on top of the block about a 6 inch crack. About $6k for a new Longblock

Yikes, $6k! My block was cracked badly over #1 cylinder; very obvious. I think the block is14099090M. M stands for metric starter bolts, so M is inconsequential.

Did you check autozone ro any parts store for a long block? If you got a long block you can just swap over your intake, manifolds, risers, distributor, etc. Has to be a cheaper way. Jasper sells long blocks also. Could have just the heads cleaned and checked at machine shop then buy a short block if they are good?

Trying to toss out some ideas to help out and save some money. Not sure if you have the tools to do this work with.

Here is my thread where I did an engine rebuild (last summer) (see page 3), same engine basically: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...86-lxi-project

Last edited:

Regal_Dave

Cadet
Well, the actual long block is only about $2600, that's reusing the heads, Risers, manifolds and the intake and carb. The rest of it is labor. I've never done a full bottom half rebuild.

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not trying to get you in over your head with a project, but you can get a remanufactured short block on ebay for about $700. I digress given this thread is titled "...head pattern."

Regal_Dave

Cadet
No, I appreciate all your insight. The long block is completely done alrealy, The whole bottom half of the engine would be completed, it just needs heads put back on, risers, manifold and intake put back on. You did a complete overhaul, I don't think I could take that much on.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
On my Chris Craft...

I also got a short block (Ford) and just bolted on all the good parts off the cracked block...heads, push-rods, cam shaft, oil pump, pick-up tube, timing chain/cover, etc... it was about $1,300.00 for short-block, gaskets and incidentals. Good weekend project.