2007 Volvo Penta SX-A Sea Water Output Hose Fitting Broke off at outdrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhardest

Seaman
Hello, I've been posting a lot lately since I'm going over my boat in detail and finding things that are in need of repair. Appreciate all the help from the replies to my other posts.

This weekend when inspecting the speedo tube that connects to the drive, I noticed a rubber hose (#18 in the figure below) about ~1.5" diameter that connects to what appears to be a plastic fitting (#9 in the figure) left side of the drive. However, it appears the plastic fitting broke off right at the point of entry into the drive and so the male part of the fitting is inside the hose, and the hose isn't mated with the drive. I'm fairly certain this is the output hose for the cooling water.

My question: Is this an urgent repair needed before using the boat? I was thinking no since the cooling water still exits but doesn't go through the drive and exit through the prop as it normally would. But I thought I would ask the experts in the forum to be sure before I do any damage.

Second question: Anyone replace this fitting before and is it a difficult repair? Thanks for any advice.

SX-A Gimbal Ring and Housing.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
If the hose is not used to bring in cooling water for the motor then its not needed. The item being broken off, then the question is; How does the water make it into the seawater pump and into the motor?

Bondo

Staff member
I'm fairly certain this is the output hose for the cooling water.

Ayuh,.... I Know used water is expelled with the exhaust, so the hose Yer lookin' at is the water line INTO the motor,...

Ya, I'd fix it, before usin' the boat,...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You absolutely have to have it connected. It basically connects the intake on the drive to the hose going to the raw water pump. When you are sitting there idling it will be in the water but once you get any speed it will be sucking air.

Should be an easy fix but you should replace o-ring #10.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
As long as you dont use the motor, you dont need the hose connected. That is the cooling water supply to the motor

dhardest

Seaman
LOL well that's why we ask these questions! I had to laugh at some of these answers but in all seriousness I'm glad I asked. I'll definitely order the part and the o-rings and replace it. Now I'm wondering how long it has been this way without me knowing it. Never had any temperature alarms though.

Thanks everyone.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Mine broke at the same place a couple years ago. I didn't notice it right away and actually ran for some time with it broken. You are fairly safe at non planing speeds as that hose end is below the water line. You will be at risk on plane as the water level drops below that point. If the hose is lined up with the nipple you will get some water feed by ramming at planing speeds but really it should be changed.

I changed mine when I pulled the drive at the end of the season. You will need to remove the broke off section that is still in the aluminum housing, then screw in the new piece. Do yourself a favor and grease the threads thoroughly before trying to install.

dhardest

Seaman
Guess I'm gonna need to learn how to pull the drive. Trying to do this without pulling it seems almost impossible as that fitting is impossible to get to otherwise. Someone else on another post said it takes about a half hour to pull the drive but I'm skeptical (perhaops mainly because it'll be my first time), but I'll stay optimistic. Definitely going to get the manuals. Of course could take it someplace to have it done but I know I can do it as long as the procedure is outlined and clear. And once I know how then lots of money to be saved in the future for this and other similar things.

I'm sure there is a list of things to check once the drive is off. I'll do some quick searches and I'm sure some things will come up but if any viewers can rattle a few things off the top that would be appreciated.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
On the other thread, someone gave you the link for your drive manual which includes instructions on how to remove and reinstall the drive. Basically:

1) Remove the plastic cover that covers the shift mechanism
2) Unhook the shift cable from the drive and loosen the cable retainer on the starboard side of the drive
3) Unhook both trim cylinders
4) Remove 6 nuts holding drive and pull off drive

Reinstallation is the opposite. The manual will have detailed instructions but this is the basic idea. It'll take more than half an hour your first time, especially learning to move the heavy and awkward drive. But you'll see it's not too hard. If you struggle with moving the drive around, there are some good threads on these forums detailing home-built carts to help you move it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You also want to buy an alignment tool and check the gimbal bearing alignment. You check this whenever you pull your drive.

Replace seal #8 when you pull your drive.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Pulling the drive for the first time is intimidating. But once you have done it, is not so bad at all. Download and print off a manual on boatinfo.com or buy the manual so that you do it right the first time. After that you can do it each year on your own without it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That plastic fitting can break if water was left in the hose because of less that adequate winterizing. Replace it after pulling the drive & checking alignment. Then the next time the boat is winterized make sure to fill the raw water intake hose with -100 marine AF with the drive all the way down (disconnect this hose at the impeller housing), point it down in the bilge to drain water out the fill it with AF till it runs out the water intakes. This will push any remaining raw water out of the line and drive water passages.

dhardest

Seaman
I live in Central Florida so I'm not too worried about freezing, but this is good info for those who do live in an area where freezing is a risk. Curious though, whether the AF has other benefits in warmer climates to still make it worth while to do this (such as corrosion prevention).

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That plastic fitting can break if water was left in the hose because of less that adequate winterizing. Replace it after pulling the drive & checking alignment. Then the next time the boat is winterized make sure to fill the raw water intake hose with -100 marine AF with the drive all the way down (disconnect this hose at the impeller housing), point it down in the bilge to drain water out the fill it with AF till it runs out the water intakes. This will push any remaining raw water out of the line and drive water passages.
I never have a drop of water come out of this area when I pull my drive annually. If there was water in there, I would see some. Out of curiosity, have you ever pulled a Volvo SX drive?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
When I winterize my Cobra I drain that hose inside the boat and then fill it with -100 AF. When I pull the drive there is AF in that passage. The fitting and hose are the same from the Cobra to the SX. I can see if tha boat was at a certain angle with the drive up water could be trapped there. There was a member on this site who reported something similar some time ago. This looks like the newer SX-A drive though.
I have never had that fitting crack all these years maybe they got a bad batch of them.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The cobra is different than the Volvo. The Cobra has the water pump on the drive that keeps it from draining. The Volvo drains if you lower the drive.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Mine broke at the same place a couple years ago. I didn't notice it right away and actually ran for some time with it broken. You are fairly safe at non planing speeds as that hose end is below the water line. You will be at risk on plane as the water level drops below that point. If the hose is lined up with the nipple you will get some water feed by ramming at planing speeds but really it should be changed.

I changed mine when I pulled the drive at the end of the season. You will need to remove the broke off section that is still in the aluminum housing, then screw in the new piece. Do yourself a favor and grease the threads thoroughly before trying to install.

Is part #9 above the waterline?
Seems to me that a break at that point could lead to a sinking feeling.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
It's below the water line, but the hose rises up and above the water line. It will not sink your boat .

Status
Not open for further replies.