1984 Volvo Penta work fixing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stubbylong

Cadet
I bought an old boat with out checking it first mainly because it was cheap and the people assured me it ran great and only had cosmetic issues. However, when I took it out for the first time this weekend i quickly discovered it had issues. In the attached picture water shoots out of the middle circle ( I assume cylinder) sorry I am not mechanically inclined, but I do know water shooting out of the engine into the engine compartment is bad. Is this worth fixing, seems to me it would be a pretty big fix as well as expensive for an old boat. Or should I just cut my loses and sell it to a salvage for a few hundred bucks?

Attachments

• photo260976.JPG
    photo260976.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 6

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
when taking pictures of the forest, back up so your not focused on the tree bark. take a picture where you get the whole engine compartment into the picture. it would also help to know which one of the 30 or so 1984 volvo penta motors we are looking at

could be a simple fix, could be a pricey fix. whether it is worth fixing is up to you.

any boat that is purchased needs to be gone over prior to putting in the water. at a minimum the following should be done (I would argue MUST be done):
  • compression test
  • new impeller
  • inspection of all hoses
  • engine oil and filter change
  • fuel filter change
  • outdrive gear oil change
  • prop shaft lubrication
  • bellows change
  • distributor/cap/rotor/wires and plugs
  • battery tested

stubbylong

Cadet
No Title

I don't have a clue what engine it is nor do I know how to identify it. See the second pic below, red circle indicates where water is shooting out from.

Attachments

• photo260982.JPG
    photo260982.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 5
  • photo260983.JPG
    photo260983.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 6

Darrenmb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Exhaust manifold is bad by the looks of it. Water that normally goes out drive with exhaust is instead leaking into the bilge.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
looks like you would need to pressure test the exhaust manifold.

on the side of the block just above the starter should be the volvo serial number tag.

what year are we dealing with?

stubbylong

Cadet
Dealing with a 1984 Volvo Penta AQ125A - Serial number is 7650000951 but when using the Volvo SN search tool it doesn't find this SN so I don't know exactly what engine it has

Bondo

Staff member
but when using the Volvo SN search tool it doesn't find this SN so I don't know exactly what engine it has

Ayuh,.... I believe it's a Volvo motor, B20, or B21, which is outa production, with many parts listed as NLA,...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Issue was a freeze plug had popped out, replaced it with an adjustable freeze plug, easy fix.

if someone did not drain the manifold for winter, then you may have cracked the manifold to push the core plug out

they are core plugs, used to get core sand out during the casting process. they may have been incorrectly called freeze plugs by the less educated. they were never and I mean never intended to save anything from freezing.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Issue was a freeze plug had popped out, replaced it with an adjustable freeze plug, easy fix.

Start searching Ebay for a volvo penta AQ125 or AQ131 exhaust manifold. These do not last forever as sea water (salt) runs through them
Your B23 motor is an overhead cam engine which was also found in automobiles.
Some part are interchangeable, e.g spark plugs, valve cover gasket, exhaust manifold gaske, oil filter.
I tell the counter person I need spark plugs for a 1989 Volvo 740 GL with 2.3L engine.

Some parts are truly unavailable nowadays.

The engine is very reliable if cared for.
I would change the motor oil NOW.
I would buy a new raw water pump impeller NOW.
I would replace the timing belt NOW

NOW meaning, spring has sprung.

Take a look here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT8Ahi9nUNs&t=6s

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.