Volvo Penta SX trim Cylinder rebuild Question

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought the rebuild kits for my SX cylinders. Pretty easy to rebuild. I did this last spring and they have worked fine. When I pulled the boat out of the water, I noticed all (4) outside seals are no longer seated in the end caps.......

hydraulics.jpg
Any idea HOW this gasket is supposed to stay seated in the end cap and NOT move?

Phil

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you mean the wiper seals? Those are the most outward seals on the cylinder gland. if installed correctly they can't move unless wrong size fit up problem. When you removed piston and gland from rod the wiper fit into grove in gland alright?

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'll try to get a pic tomorrow if I head out to boat...

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
If all 4 of the wiper seals are out then the rod seal is leaking and pressure is forcing them out. Was the rod seal install correctly?

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If all 4 of the wiper seals are out then the rod seal is leaking and pressure is forcing them out. Was the rod seal install correctly?

I thought they all seemed to install fine......... Could they come out if i was leaving the outdrives in the UP position , accumulating build up on the rods, and then lowering and raising again? Should there be any sealant on the wiper seals to help keep them in place? Locktite?

Thanks!
Phil