Can I use a 1984 4.3 block in a 1998 volvo/penta set up?

Rodney25

Recruit
I just purchased a 1998 4 Winns Horizon 180 RX with a Volvo Penta 4.3 in it. It has a cracked block and I am planning on swapping the engine next month.

I have found a 1984 Celebrity Galaxy with a Mercruiser V6 with a OMC Cobra Outdrive and was thinking about swooping it up for $500 and keeping the engine block and heads and swapping over the rest of my stuff.

I'm thinking by the time I sell the extra trailer (which looks in good shape) and the OMC Cobra outdrive I will basically have nothing in the new block. The trailer seems to be worth about 300? It looks really nice and has the hydraulic brake set up on it (which I may need parts off it too . LOL) . And the out drive is worth a couple hundred too , right? And maybe some other parts off the boat worth a hundred bucks like starter and alternator and carb, steering cables, seats, etc... I have plenty of shelf space to keep parts in. I just plan on cutting back end of boat off with a saw zaw and using cherry picker to get engine then pulling every piece off I can and taking the shell to dump for $100 bucks.

Has anyone parted out an old boat like this?

Can someone tell me if the blocks are the same between those years and will my intake and all externals mount up properly and will it work with my outdrive?
Will my heads work on the replacement block?
Intake mount the same?
If my exhaust manifolds are cracked can I use the replacements?

I have also considered the auto engine swap but I think by the time I did that I would be better off just buying a refurb block and heads off ebay for $1500.

I'm a little tight on money right now (single parent with two boys) and I am thinking that I can have the boat on the water for a couple hundred bucks using the older engine. And then save up for a refurbed next year.

The Four Winns boat is solid. Out drive is tight. Floor is solid. It has the swivel seats up front w/ bench seat in back and bimini top and the swim platform. Interior is soft and not ridged and the paint and top coat is in excellent shape. No yellowing. I plan on keeping it for 5 years or more.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That block is too old. You need a motor later than 1987. Yours has a one piece rear oil seal.

Your engine has Vortec heads so you want to use your heads if you buy a used engine between 87 and 95. Vortec heads use a different intake manifold.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I wonder what version of the engine you get for $1499. His prices below don't match up.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Looking through the feedback, it's at 100% all positive for the last 6 months...been on ebay since 2004...the 2 year warranty is only as good as the person behind it!

While the pricing doesn't match from Buy It Now to the list price, I'd say that's the lead-in for a particular motor, if it was another model, the prices listed are the price...simple marketing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you just have a cracked block and heads, pull an engine from a 1998 - 2003 S-10 pickup and strip it down to the long block. Most pick-a-part yards only charge $350