Help removing VP gimbal housing / bracket from the transom

Buickgsman

Seaman
I had a snow day today and decided I am going to start to plan the removal of the gimbal bracket from the transom. Before I get in over my head, I figured I would ask the experts so I don't make more work or expense for myself. I want to remove the entire assembly so that I can repair the gimbal from someones heavy handed outdrive removal. They went at it with a pry bar and really did a job on the mating surface. Additionally, they went at it with some black paint for an unknown reason. I want to have the gimbal surface tig welded and cleaned up and repaint the entire assembly. I will also need to do the same repair on the outdrive itself as it has a few prybar scars and it will get a repaint and whatever else it needs to be 100%. Am I making a mistake wanting to remove the entire assembly from the transom? or should I remove everything else but the bracket? What to do? And is there a good source for a manual? The boat is a 98 Four Winns Horizon RS and the engine is a Mercruiser 5.7 in place of the original 4.3v6. I just started reassembly of the engine rebuild this past weekend and I am hoping to have my ducks in a row so I can put the boat in the water sometime this summer.

Buickgsman

Seaman
No Title

Attachments

• photo260640.jpg
    photo260640.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260641.jpg
    photo260641.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260642.jpg
    photo260642.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
What to do? And is there a good source for a manual? The boat is a 98 Four Winns Horizon RS and the engine is a Mercruiser 5.7 in place of the original 4.3v6

Ayuh,... Which drive, the SX,..??

In my signature is a link to Don'S Adults Only Section, in there are links to manuals,....

If yer lookin' at what I Think yer lookin' at,...
Probably easier to just pull the gimbel housin', 'n have it fixed,...

To pull the entire transom assembly is quite a job, for no real reason,....
That's usually saved for replacin' rotten transom wood,...

Last edited:

Buickgsman

Seaman
Thanks Bondo, Yes it is an SX. A question about the entire transom assembly. Do I need to worry about any leaks there? I don't have the best luck and knowing me, I have a leak, but who knows for sure. I just want to do this once. I can pull the gimbal housing and clean up the bracket against the transom and do my painting which is the easiest method without pulling the entire thing off the transom. Then, paint the other parts and reinstall..

Bondo

Staff member
A question about the entire transom assembly. Do I need to worry about any leaks there?

Ayuh,.... If yer talkin' 'bout the interface 'tween the Volvo transom housin', to the fiberglass/ wood transom,.....
That Usually don't leak, unless there's rotten wood in the fiberglass transom,...

I'd, like I said, pull the gimbaled housin', 'n fix it,...
Probably clean everything up, 'n paint it if ya wish,...
I'd for Sure replace all the rubber parts, bellows, etc,...

I don't mess with yer drive, so I'm talkin' pretty generally,...
Merc I'd be more specific, but a boat is a boat,....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Those are similar to the OMC Cobra drives, the part that the drive bolts to with the 6 studs is called the pivot housing. They are not hard to remove as long as the 2 hinge bolts (one on each side in a recess) come out. On mine they were internal allen bolts, I think 1/2" size if I recall. When you have the pivot off you can replace the gimble bearing if needed and have the damage to the pivot housing fixed. Then put it back together with new bellows and gimble bearing. Was the cause of the violent removal of the drive, a rusted driveshaft due to a leaky bellows, or just corrosion between the pivot housing and drive mating surfaces? If the latter, then you can avoid that by coating both surfaces with OMC/Evinrude triple guard grease. It is a very thick water proof grease that will stay in place.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson...cfm?mdl=DQELLP

Take a look at this diagram, its a joint venture OMC Cobra but this is basically the same as the Volvo SX. The pivot housing is part number 76 and the bolts are part number 26. Be careful trying to get them out (since the drive is off, spray Kano Kroil or similar on the inner boss between part number 45 (gimble assembly) and the pivot housing. When re-installing there are two fibre washers (part number 79) that will probably break or crack when you pull it apart, order those ahead of time. While you're at it,. pick up the plastic water fitting part 18 with the gasket and also replace that water hose part 37. I used an OMC parts diagram instead of Volvo because its easier to look up OMC parts. Volvo has so many different model numbers its a pain. But the designs are the same with minor differences, this will give you a good idea of the parts you need to get it back together.

I have a F/W also, about 10 years older, 200 Horizon. Nice boats.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Here's mine....getting a top engine rebuild this year, or a new crate engine depends on funds and the condition of the old parts....

Attachments

• photo260705.jpg
    photo260705.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 0