changed the oil in outdrive now seems to be getting hot (can smell burning oil)

bill91817

Cadet
Changed the oil in my SP-C drive today - manual said to use either "same as engine" or "API GL-5 75W-90W" and capacity is 2.6 litres.
SO I used Penrite Semi synthetic API GL-5 75W-90W because it seemed to be a better choice than engine oil.
I drained the old oil and it had a milky appearance so I ran about a litre of oil through the drive (engine NOT running - just a flush from top to bottom) and redrained to clean out any further old oil. I let it sit for probably 30 minutes and move the leg up and down to get all the oil out.
I put in 2.6 litres, the reading on the dipstick looked really full (like way over the flat section on the dipstick) but I thought maybe it had not worked all the way down - so I took it for a run and I could smell the oil burning after a fairly short period . At lower speeds (8 knots) it was ok but as soon as put on the power the smell came back. I reached over and touched the top of the drive (near dipstick) and it was quite hot...could hold my hand there but if it were much hotter it would have been uncomfortable
what have I done wrong? :-(

alldodge

Staff member
You did pump the lube in from the bottom until it came out the top, correct?

bill91817

Cadet
ummm - no - I pumped it in through the filler (hex bolt above the gear shift on the front of the drive) -

bill91817

Cadet
thanks - might get a tech to look at it-
suspect it may need some work - there is slop in the drive (port to starboard) and when trimming down at speed there is a real clunk through the boat (doesn't do it when trimming up) - does clunk going into drive and reverse.....

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
In addition to the overheating, you need to determine where the water intrusion is coming from. Just changing the oil will not correct that issue. The oil needs to be re filled bottom to top to avoid air pockets in the drive.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Did you pressure test?

Agreed, sounds like your low on fluid. Check the level again. It may be milky again

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You can fill it from the bottom(I wouldn't) if you want to but this drive gets filled from a fill hole behind the shift cover.

ummm - no - I pumped it in through the filler (hex bolt above the gear shift on the front of the drive) -
Don't listen to all the people that tell you filled it wrong. You filled it correctly. I would use full synthetic gear lube though. Motor oil is about the same viscosity as the 75W-90 gear oil in case you were worried about that.

2.6L is the correct amount.

See DonS's description in post #7
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...-top-or-bottom

Resurrecting an old DonS picture.
Drive needs to be straight up and down. That is why you need a funnel like this.
Volvo%20drive%20filling%20procedure.PNG

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Make sure you have the dipstick tube out when you fill with the funnel.

bill91817

Cadet
Ok so I checked the fluid level tonight - leg trimmed down and the oil level is 2/3rds of the way up the dipstick - that's the whole dipstick not 2/3rds of the way up the high low mark! - so either there is too much oil in the leg (don't know how as I drained for 45-60mins before refilling) or the oil is not draining down to the lower part- either way in my simpleton mind doesn't make sense why the top of the drive would get hot?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you have the drive WAY to full.

Also, make sure you always change the o-rings on all your plugs every year when you change your gear oil. They don't last forever and could be the reason you got water in your drive.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
You can defo fill from the top. That's what is the done thing on the VP leg. It doesn't have the same internal set up as the Merc drives do, so no risk of trapped air etc.
Generally the advice is to use the VP synthetic oil or Mobil 1 75-90 synthetic non lsd oil.
Unfortunately, 7/10 times you change the oil on these vintage legs, you will find water in the oil.
As mentioned, make sure you change all 3 of the seals every time. In addition to this, I used to try and seal the plugs with silicone too (careful when removing next time, of course)
Hope this helps.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
You know what I mean. From the fill plug near top and behind shift cover. 9mm hex Allen key from memory. It would be some job filling from the dipstick, if that's what you thought I meant.
Presumed most would know what I meant...perhaps not !

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Bruce...now understand why this forum has a smart ass reputation !!