Power Assisted Steering Ram on drive need bleeding if pump sucks air?

bill91817

Cadet
Hi guys
I replaced my thru hull inlet ball valve and in the process had to remove the power steering oil cooler - a bit of fluid escaped and I ran the engine prior to topping up the reservoir (just slipped my mind!) I topped it up straight away but there is a squeal/growl that comes from the power assist ram at the stern drive (not the pump on the engine) when I turn to port or starboard - any tips on how to sort this? (I assume I may have to bleed it but cant figure it out?)
cheers

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Did ya try turnin' the wheel, lock to lock several times,..?? motor Runnin',..??

I've purged the entire system to refresh, 'n change the oil in it,....
If ya disconnect the low pressure return line from the back of the pump, 'n extend the hose into a catchcan,...
Open a few quarts of Atf, set 'em in-reach, have somebody start the motor, at idle, 'n slowly turn the wheel lock to lock,...
You slowly pour the fresh oil into the P/S pump, 'n watch the color of the oil hittin' the catchcan comin' out the return hose,,...
When it turns to fresh oil, shut 'er down, 'n button it up,...
Yer done,...

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I replaced my ram once and it didn't fully bleed until it went lock to lock several times if I recall correctly.