305 to 350 upgrade

Rkasal

Cadet
First time poster here.. I've gathered tons of great info from this forum in the last 48 hrs THANK YOU!
Anyway my brother has a 20.5ft larson with a 305 Volvo penta and a duo prop out drive. Last winter caught him slacking and needless to say I'm swapping the engine due to a cracked block. I've acquired a this 350 sbc free from a 1990 truck. I tore the engine down and it will need the heads reworked and crank machined. I'm thinking about upgrading to vortec heads and intake of course because the cost won't be terribly higher than getting the tbi heads rebuilt. I am trying to do this on a budget but definitely want to do it right so it lasts. I am wondering if I can bolt the vortec heads on and use the oem pistons from the truck engine, they are oe dished with 4 valve reliefs and from what I can tell by the pictures identical to the stock marine vortec 5.7 pistons? Our priorities are as follows: reliability, convenience of running 87 pump gas and lastly price of rebuild. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 350 with vortec heads alone will be enough of a torque gain to be a noticeable upgrade from the 305? From what I've read the comp 262 cam is preferred with bone stock vortec heads. I plan on re-ringing the pistons if indeed they will agree with the vortec heads, all new bearings, new cam and lifters and swapping over all externals including the 4 barrel carb from the original 305. I've looked for Dennis Moore's book on marine sbc's but can only find used on amazon for $329.00. Thank you in advance for any input.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

what year vp are you working on?

Rkasal

Cadet
Thank you! It is a 1990 501a. I'm also hoping the original exhaust will bolt up to the vortec heads.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
original exhaust no problem. however you will want to check the mating surface between the risers and manifolds on the 27 year old manifolds

Here is a link to my 1988 VP 350 upgrade to vortec heads, new VP vortec manifold, comp cams XM cam, roller rockers, etc.

none of the pictures made it as I was using webshots back then and the website disappeared.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...o-performance-upgrades-for-an-aq271c?t=503800

you will want the vortec heads machined for higher lift or you will want to use the LS3 behive springs.

Rkasal

Cadet
Awesome thread.. Lots of great info! I'm assuming you left the oem fully dished pistons in with the 4 valve reliefs? What I want to do is going to be almost identical to what you did, I might convert to a full roller with roller rockers as well since the block is already set up for it but not sure it will be worth the price.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Awesome thread.. Lots of great info! I'm assuming you left the oem fully dished pistons in with the 4 valve reliefs? What I want to do is going to be almost identical to what you did, I might convert to a full roller with roller rockers as well since the block is already set up for it but not sure it will be worth the price.

my pistons were flat tops with the 4 valve reliefs.

these are all the pics that I still have http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/s...w/1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420/Motor-Refresh-2012

Rkasal

Cadet
Nice! Thanks for the pics.. My donor motor pistons are just like the ones shown in the link. They have a slight dish all the way around. I'm curious what I'll lose if I run them rather than buy a set of flat top or d dish since I'm running the vortec heads.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
your compression ratio will be about 9.2:1 or so about there. you wont notice much of a drop. a LCQ style piston or a d-shapped inverted dome (dish) would make a bunch more power with the vortec heads due to proper quench. you will pick some up with the cam.

it will all be more power than the 5.0 lump your pulling out.