Outdrive wont turn fully to port

Eivnap

Cadet
Hi

Outdrive: Volvo Penta SX-A
Serial no: 4202233122
Year: 2008

Problem:

The drive turns more to stb then to port. I guess it only turns around 60-70% of the stb rudder. There is no visual problems.

Any idea what is causing this ?

Brg
Eivind Naps?y

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Have a look, or take a pic of the hole cut out for the tiller arm , the top area of the cut out. See if there is an obstruction or the cutout is not the same. If all looks good, disconnect the steering ram from the tiller arm at the transom. There is one pin holding it, then see if it moves more. If you get more movement then its in the cable or ram.

Eivnap

Cadet
Howdy :)

Thx a lot ! I am surely gonna check this out and try your tip.

I`ll report back, after a week or so. I`m currently working offshore Norway ;) Supply duties ;)

​Appreciate your reply !

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Do you mean it won't physically turn to port, or do you mean it doesn't steer as well to port as it does to starboard ?
Reason I ask is that All single engine sterndrive and outboards turn much better to one side because of the rotation of the prop.
Just a thought.

Eivnap

Cadet
AllDodge:

Yesyes, i am Chief Officer on PSV Skandi Feistein. Look her up ;) Shark teeth ;)

QBhoy:

I mean like when i physically turn the drive by pushing it with my hands, it comes to a sudden stop. The same goes for when i use the steering wheel. This is when the boat`s on land.

I have only checked drive outside and not on the inside of the transom. So it is very likely there is some obstructions there.

Eivnap

Cadet
No Title

She sure has a like it or not bow design. But glad you like her :)

She turns equally to both sides at least :D

So you are/bin a seafarer yourself?

Attachments

• photo259488.jpg
    photo259488.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 0

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Funny, I noticed the same thing on my SX-A a couple years ago and still haven't figured it out. I've looked around for obstructions on the transom but there are none. I didn't see anything noticeable in the engine compartment either, but since the steering system is a little foreign to me (and I have a tendency to cause myself headaches by taking things apart when I shouldn't), I decided to leave it alone.

If I remember correctly, turning port feels like it hits some sort of stop. It is a sudden firm stop and will not turn port anymore. It turns more starboard, but that direction is sort of a mushy stop. About the same time I noticed that my steering wheel alignment changed. Straight ahead means having the wheel caulked about 30 degrees to one side. I tried adjusting the wheel but no help.

I'm not sure if something like this can suddenly happen, and what causes it, or if it was always that way and I didn't notice before. Hopefully you find something that I missed.

Eivnap

Cadet
Hi

Have you tried disconnecting the steering cylinder from the steering rod, and then turned the drive by hand ?

That should be a easy way to check if the problem is on the drive or the hydrolic steering system. Im sure going to test this when i get home.

Eivnap

Cadet
No Title

I`ve bin googling for a couple of days now and i recon this is the pin you pull and then the drive is free (see picure)

AllDodge

correct me if im wrong :)

Attachments

• photo259552.jpg
    photo259552.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 0

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hi

Have you tried disconnecting the steering cylinder from the steering rod, and then turned the drive by hand ?

That should be a easy way to check if the problem is on the drive or the hydrolic steering system. Im sure going to test this when i get home.

I have not tried that yet. I believe the pin you are referencing is the correct one. That is a good way to separate steering system from drive during your troubleshooting, and I will probably try it also. I just wish I knew how something like that could change...that would help knowing how to fix it.