Engine floods while boat rocks

postmortem

Cadet
So I've had my boat out for a whole season now and I' noticed that after my boat is off for 15-30 min it floods, then one day I had the flame arrester off while at sea and could visibly see fuel tipping into the intake with every rock of the boat. This is even after adjusting the float. Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe the bowl is allowing too much fuel in?

I have a q-jet carb in an aq225d.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
How about buying a carb kit and new float and rebuild your carb

postmortem

Cadet
I've replaced the gaskets and float needle twice, I don't imagine the float itself has anything to do with it?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The float might be set too high, has absorbed fuel, or could be the wrong float. You bought this used, so who knows what's been done to it

Was the fuel dripping from the booster venturies? Q-jets are known to develop leaks at the plugs that plug the fuel well

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'd say the float is bad also. I've rebuilt lots of q-jets, and had a few that had the same issue, New float solves the issue. Now I just replace the float as part of the rebuild. If it was the plugs in the bottom of the bowl, you would not see the fuel dripping at the venture, as it drains the bowl from the under side.

postmortem

Cadet
I'd say the float is bad also. I've rebuilt lots of q-jets, and had a few that had the same issue, New float solves the issue. Now I just replace the float as part of the rebuild. If it was the plugs in the bottom of the bowl, you would not see the fuel dripping at the venture, as it drains the bowl from the under side.

I'll have to give that a shot, thanks guys. I'll put a new float in it and make sure it's set right.

Eric