Lower Unit Oil Question

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Needing to change my lower unit oil in the coming weeks. My DPS-A . I believe it calls for synthetic 75-90w, gl-5, non limited slip. Where I live it is difficult to find "non limited slip" oil. Is it safe to use synthetic limited slip of the same weight? What harm could be done by doing so.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You need the non limited slip or you run risk of burning the cone clutches.

You can even get gear lube at Walmart

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Walmart brand (supertech) synthetic marine gear lube is available at walmart

Or buy Amsoil from amazon and have it delivered to your house.

Thalasso

Commander
I get mine at Advance Auto or Auto Zone. As long as you use GL5 rated you will be ok
The Mobile 1 LS is GL5 rated
[h=4]Specifications and approvals[/h]
[FONT=&quot]Mobil 1 Syn Gear Lube LS 75W-90 meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications[/FONT]
  • API GL-5

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Depends on which Mobil 1 you can find. All the Mobil 1 gear lube I can find around me says its compatible with LS diffs so I won't use it anymore and only use the Volvo lube. I won't use the ones I find at Advance Auto or Auto Zone. DonS was of the same opinion about using that version of Mobil 1

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I get mine at Advance Auto or Auto Zone. As long as you use GL5 rated you will be ok
The Mobile 1 LS is GL5 rated
[h=4]Specifications and approvals[/h]
[FONT=&quot]Mobil 1 Syn Gear Lube LS 75W-90 meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications[/FONT]
  • API GL-5

Are you sure, as I have been told that the two, LS and non LS, are not compatible in the cone clutch outdrives.

I can find the LS included oil everywhere, its the non LS that I am having trouble finding. Not living near a large body of water our "marine" specific choices are slim.

Thalasso

Commander
Depends on which Mobil 1 you can find. All the Mobil 1 gear lube I can find around me says its compatible with LS diffs so I won't use it anymore and only use the Volvo lube. I won't use the ones I find at Advance Auto or Auto Zone. DonS was of the same opinion about using that version of Mobil 1

Didn't realize Mobile 1 LS was anything other then GL5 rated. GL-4 you can't use

As long as it has the GL-5 rating all is good. Volvo has been using it for years

http://pds.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...LS_75W-90.aspx

Mobil 1 Syn gear Lube LS 75W-90 is intended for initial fill, topping-off or refilling differentials, final drives, transfer cases and other gear applications where lubricants meeting API Service GL-5 and multi-purpose or mild EP gear lubricants are recommended

Last edited:

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The problem is with the limited slip additives causing trouble for the cone clutches. There's been enough people who had problems with LS fluid, GL5 or not, that Don S. said to steer clear from it. That's all the advice I needed. You may not have any problem with it, or you might. Personally I try to remove as many possible problems as possible.

In my SX-A I used Mobil 1 LS for a season. Had some odd problems with the drive slipping out of gear or not engaging. Used Amsoil for a couple seasons afterwards, and now religiously use the specified Volvo oil per advice from some very wise people on here. I think you'd be fine with either of those 2 options. Both can be delivered pretty quickly to your doorstep.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
There's been enough people who had problems with LS fluid, GL5 or not, that Don S. said to steer clear from it
Likewise....I used the Mobil 1 for many years and switched to the Volvo lube on DonS's recommendation.

I know there is some other Mobil 1 out there(hard to find where I am) that should be ok. Also GL5. I just can' locate it.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Someone told me you can use Mercury High Performance gear oil as a substitute. I found a label online and read it. It stated is only GL-4 rated. Volvo says GL-5.

I ended up buying three quarts of Amsoil marine gear oil online. The product price was not bad, but the shipping and tax was a fourth of the cost.

I did learn something in my search. It appears "marine" gear oil is designed to absorb water, up to 10% per Amsoil, where" non marine" oil makes no similar statement.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I buy the Volvo gear oil from the dealer buy the gallon. Ends up being not much more than the Mobil 1 at the auto store.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
Someone told me you can use Mercury High Performance gear oil as a substitute. I found a label online and read it. It stated is only GL-4 rated. Volvo says GL-5.

I ended up buying three quarts of Amsoil marine gear oil online. The product price was not bad, but the shipping and tax was a fourth of the cost.

I did learn something in my search. It appears "marine" gear oil is designed to absorb water, up to 10% per Amsoil, where" non marine" oil makes no similar statement.

Ive been using the Mercury High performance oil in our volvo for many years now. Ive never read where someone said you shouldnt, if this truly an issue?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Jeepster, to get the best coverage you probably want to start a new thread with your question

I've read that the GL-4 requirement is for drives which have brass components which could be damaged by exposure to GL-5 spec lube. I've looked at the Mercury high performance lube's before and I couldn't find any references to it being synthetic so I steered clear. I buy Volvo's sythetic gear oil from iboats for about $12 per quart.

Last edited:

Jsulla

Cadet
I vote Volvo synthetic. It's not like you have to change it every month and it really does save your drive if you have water intrusion. Order it online and get it shipped to your door.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
Well I ordered volvo oil. The $12 a quart is the non synthetic 80w-90. The 75w-90 synthetic is $18+ a quart and surprisingly the cheapest place I found it was walmart.com. $18 a quart and free shipping. Ive had a quart for awhile that someone gave me so I only needed 2. $40 is easily the most Ive ever paid for two quarts of oil.

If I had the receipt I would take the mercruiser oil back to walmart. They may take it back without a receipt, not sure... Stuff was $10 a quart.