86 volvo penta bayliner capri 275 outdrive

Johneg13

Cadet
top end of the drive makes a bad noise/vibration while the motor is running, and the drive is all the way down or all the way up, there is a quiet spot in the middle, ive owned the boat for 1 year, I worked on it all last summer had it out half dozen times last fall, put it up for two months, started it up today and heard this noise I haven't heard before, it doesn't change when engaging the prop, only trim position, any ideas? grateful for your help

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Pull the drive and inspect the u-joints and PDS bearings before you use the boat any more

Johneg13

Cadet
Heh Scott, I committed to pulling the drive today, I got everything disconnected per manual instructions, the drive will not slide out, I'm soaking with wd40 and trying to break it loose with a pry bar. Are there any tricks to help with this last portion? Thanks

Doneysitdown

Seaman Apprentice
Have you changed out your ujoint bellows recently. If not you could cut the bellow and inspect the joints. (See if they are rusted on the shaft). Are you pulling the whole drive or just unbolting the transmission? Maybe post some pictures to see where you are at with it. Also welcome aboard! :)

Johneg13

Cadet
The gimbal or shaft bearing is suspect, making noise when trimmed down or up, no noise in the middle, im inspecting the drive components, new old boat for me, got the engine tight, ran it a few times in the water, ran great, put it up for 2 months then heard this noise.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
WD40 wont help much if the u-joint yoke is rusted to the PDS shaft. Pretty much need to pull.

Johneg13

Cadet
PB Blasted for two weeks, beat and pryed, have drive strapped to a tree with a come along, constant tension, it ain't budging, would heat help? A torch? I'm ready to pull the upper gear box to get a new bellows back on and run it awhile, see if it loosens, frustrated!!