Water pump impeller question

byson2

Seaman
Bought this boat last fall and ran fine. I'm doing some maintenance and never worked on a VP. This is the old impeller in the housing. Should it look like this ?

Attachments

• photo259111.JPG
    photo259111.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... That looks right, but I'd change the impeller anyways,...

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks like it's not setting correctly. It shouldn't be one sided like that.......

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
May want to check the shaft, to see that it's not bent........the fins should be evenly spaced.........I would replace.....notice the proper direction the fins are turning.....you can get them in backwards.....

Best of luck!

byson2

Seaman
Shaft is fine but the piece that exchanges the water doesn't appear to be fitted properly and just didn't look right.

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea. I was thinking the impeller may have become damaged causing it to be one sided like that......

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's the way the impeller is supposed to sit in the body being offset like that, that's what develops pressure and flow. Check for scoring on the bearing side on end and body.

byson2

Seaman
Thanks for the information. The impeller looks good (still going to replace)and even though I thought the offset was unusual I figured that if it wasnt correct, surely the impeller would be damaged-and it's not.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Toss that Impeller. There several cracks/tears at the base of many of the vanes. It is only a matter of time till it fails

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Replace that impeller, that one is dry rotted. In the future you might get better information if you give a description of what motor you have.

byson2

Seaman
All the information I've received has been great. Motor's irrelevant for this topic imo. If anyone's seen one of these they'll know what it's supposed to look like. Since it was my first time I wasn't sure. Thanks 😊

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All the information I've received has been great. Motor's irrelevant for this topic imo. If anyone's seen one of these they'll know what it's supposed to look like. Since it was my first time I wasn't sure. Thanks 😊

Not sure the attitude is necessary. Lots of great people on this forum who can easily not help you with responses like that.