Rebuilding the 4.3GL in my 1998 Sunbird 200SL

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok guys. I pulled the belts and no change. I pulled the intake and what I found was a slight rattle in the balance shaft. The cam looks good the lifters look good.

When I pulled the plugs my middle cylinder on the port side had a cracked insulator. Could that be the whole problem?

If I rock my breaker bar I am getting some kind of play down low. I'm guessing that there should be none. Correct?

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also are you sure the rattle is internal, could it be from the valve train? Like a collapsed lifter? Does this engine have an adjustable valve train? as in the old style stud and nut rocker arm set up? That's what's in your pic above...

It is that same style as in the pic. I should probably pull the lifters and make sure they are in good shape before I go to pull the engine out completely.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh and I meant to add that when throttle is applied the sound disappears. It is most noticable when idling or throttling down.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok so I found my problem after pulling the motor again. I hadn't seated 2 of the flywheel studs weren't seated completely and allowed for a little play.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
I do have another question though. After reassembly my idle speed is way too high. In base timing mode in dead neutral at 0* advance I am seeing 900 rpms.

This is looking like a carb issue but when I took the intake off I changed nothing and it was idling well before.