Rebuilding the 4.3GL in my 1998 Sunbird 200SL

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Guys,

I was on here a while back trying to figure out how to swap in a used S10 Blazer engine into my Sunbird. I had one all lined up but I decided I would rather completely rebuild a 4.3 short block and have zero hours on the timer.

I figured I would make a new thread about putting it all back together and get some help from yall along the way.

So here I am with my first question, I just pulled my outdrive and I have some water In the drive shaft bellow. Its not too much but enough to be dingy. It didnt get past the o-rings on the shaft toward the gimbal and my u-joints are still nice and tight so no harm there.

Will replacing my driveshaft bellow fix this problem? Is the gasket around the water inlet the only one I need to reattach the lower unit? Is there any reason at all why the previous owner used silicone around the mating surfaces?

Thanks in advance guys!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would also replace the input shaft seal.

Yes, replacing bellows will help

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you for chiming in. Ill see If I cant come up with some part numbers. It seems I havent been able to find them on iboats.com yet.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok so I am working on pulling my 4.3 and was curious of any tips or tricks. Should I drop the power steering pump with the lines attached to the ram to avoid contamination or should I do as my Seloc manual tells me and unhook the metal connectors at the ram? I am also thinking of dropping the raw water pump to avoid damage and removing the exhaust manifolds to better clear the lip out back. I have thought of pulling the intake as well but im thinking if i rig the chains right ill be able to clear the carb. Are these good ideas or am i missing something.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok guys, It took me a little time but I have pulled the old motor and stripped it to the short block. Sure enough, the number one cylinder was full of water so the head on that side has a little surface rust. I am taking both heads in to get them refreshed today so I am hoping for a close as can be to new motor.

What would yall recommend as far as break in on a 4.3 GL? I have seen everything from 13-20 hours and all different recommendations on throttle position. So needless to say I am a little confused.

Thanks in advance guys!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Make sure the machine shop checks them for cracks, mine had cracks in the center cyls in the exhaust ports. There was also water in #1 cyl but it came from a blown head gasket.

Sunken Ship

Petty Officer 1st Class
Check the manuals for the break-in period. It was less than xxxx RPMS for so many hours. It was very hard for me to do :lol: (keep under certain RPMs). Are you going to have the block bored, new pistons, cam, bearings, oil pump etc.? How bad was the ring groove?

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
The heads were checked for cracks, cleaned up, and 2 valves were replaced. I have new manifolds waiting to go on too.

I am picking up my new lifters, timing cover, and oil pump today so I am getting really close.

Thank you for taking the time to post the correct break-in procedure Sunken Ship! That doesn't look anything like the other ones I have found.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Quick question guys. I have almost finished with my engine and need to get my drive bolted back up. I replaced the bellows and have a new water inlet o-ring on the way for tomorrow. My problem is that I dont understand how the metal on metal surfaces there keep water form getting into the drive shaft. It looks like the previous owner sealed it up with silicone. Was he right in doing so?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It looks like the previous owner sealed it up with silicone. Was he right in doing so?
No..the nose of the drive pushes up against the drive bellows to make the seal. Put some grease on that bellows there and that's all you need to do.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
No..the nose of the drive pushes up against the drive bellows to make the seal. Put some grease on that bellows there and that's all you need to do.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I was hoping that was the correct direction I needed to go.

I think thats why there was a little water in the bellows from the PO. I dont think he greased the bellows and it peeled up part of the lip so it didnt seal correctly.

Im so close to getting this thing in the water now and watching all these boats come by on the river is killing me. Hopefully one more week.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I finally have some pictures. So yall dont think im building a ghost boat.

Attachments

• photo262873.jpg
    photo262873.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 0
  • photo262874.jpg
    photo262874.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo262875.jpg
    photo262875.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 0

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, I have another question and I hope yall can help me out. Do any of yall know where I can find new flywheel studs? They look like they may be about 1.5" sticking out of the rear of the crank from what I can tell. Are they a volvo specific part?

Bondo

Staff member
Are they a volvo specific part?

Nope,... Just plain ole machine grade studs, 3/8" I think, they'll be coarse on 1 end, fine thread the other,..

Auto parts store, machine shops, quality bolt store, better hardware store,... maybe even a big box store,...

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nevermind. I went diagram surfing and bought Volvo Penta direct.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nope,... Just plain ole machine grade studs, 3/8" I think, they'll be coarse on 1 end, fine thread the other,..

Auto parts store, machine shops, quality bolt store, better hardware store,... maybe even a big box store,...

LOL well I wish I would have seen this earlier. I just went ahead and ordered from volvo. I couldnt get any of them out of the old crank so I had no clue the threads were even different.