Anti-Siphon Check Valve

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Seems I have a check valve making noise....it seems as f it's blowing air....the one on the other side s quite. And it seems it's sucking air.....

Not sure how these work.....can someone explained. And do I need to replace?
Volvo penta 4.3
Thx

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Are you sure you are talking about an anti-siphon valve? This is a device located at the outlet of the fuel tank to which the fuel line is attached. It prevents fuel from siphoning into the bilge should there be a fuel line break or leak. The only way you would have two of them is if you had two fuel tanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The OP may be talking PCV valves, however PCV valves generally are not used on boat motors

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anti-Siphon Check Valve for Volvo Penta Risers the ones on the risers......

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
He means the check valves that are on the exhaust risers that have hoses that go to the flame arrestor

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea. That's the one........not sure if they work like a pvc valve......but one of mine seems like it's blowing a lot of air out, and makes noise....I can put my finger over it and it quites down......

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Where is the end of the hose connected? EGR valve maybe? Not sure EGR is used on marine engines and it would need more connections to work, so this may be a bad guess.

Not sure what it at all.

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's there to allow air into the exhaust if a suction is created on the exhaust side from a backfire or wave action. Basic check valve you should only be able to blow through it one way. Take it off try cleaning out and blow test it. If the hose is getting hot from exhaust gases it's leaking. Mine is charcoal engine also but efi and haven't seen them, maybe only carb engines used them don't know how long.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
My 2002 5.7 has them but I never figured out what they did. The hoses are clamped to the flame arrestor with the open end of the hoses against the arrestor fins.

Last edited:

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Back in 1996 GM started using roller cams in their engines, those same roller cams hit the marine market a year or two later. When roller cam engines first came out there were all sorts of exhaust reversion issues because boat builders used a shallow static water line measurement. Those check valves act as kind of like an idle relief valve. They take some of the back pressure off of the exhaust system, and it theory, was supposed to help with reversion issues. They never really worked. If you go through some of the old installation books you would see that the static water line measurement was something along the lines of 9 to 10 inches. Volvo then changed to something like 14 inches a few years later, and did away with those check valves. If you have them, check them for signs of water. If you are seeing any water in either of them the risers are rotting. Other than that, don't worry about them or just pull them and stick brass plugs in the risers.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Roller cams came out in 1988 for the automotive world and a year or two later for boats. 1996 was first year of vortec heads.

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
So they do work like a pvc valve.....I'm assuming if air is being pushed through...this means the valve could s bad or sticking.....looked up the price and there a little on the expensive side.......
It seems they should be closed unless there is an issue, at that point it would open and allow the discharge to go back into the system?

Nice to finely see that someone knows SOMETHING about engine's.....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
So they do work like a pvc valve.....I'm assuming if air is being pushed through...this means the valve could s bad or sticking.....looked up the price and there a little on the expensive side.......
It seems they should be closed unless there is an issue, at that point it would open and allow the discharge to go back into the system?

Nice to finely see that someone knows SOMETHING about engine's.....

We know about engines, Lawn. We don't know about every engine. Cut us a break, please.

BTW - Did your manual say anything about the valve?

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Really wasn't asking about every engine....that's why it was posted under volvo penta........
One break, comming up!

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Roller cams came out in 1988 for the automotive world and a year or two later for boats. 1996 was first year of vortec heads.

​Possibly. All I know is the truck engines came out with roller cams in 96, and those are the line of engines that end up going to Volvo/Merc.