Help finding manual please

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Very excited here, I just bought a 1999 Glastron 195 sx with 4.3L GL PWTR, outdrive is SX-M.

I am trying to locate the correct volvo penta engine manual and can't seem to find it for this exact model. I was able to find the stern drive manual, l think it is listed at $59.

I can find all this on the volvo penta site:
Product NameG4-B-AQ-21
Product Designation4.3GLPWTR
Part Number3868941
Production Period1997-1999
Number Of Cylinders6
Bore101.60 mm
Stroke88.40 mm
Compression Ratio9.4:1
Displacement4.30 liters

This is the closest manual I can find on the volvo site:
[FONT=&quot] 7748084
WORKSHOP MANUAL; ENGINE MECHANICAL, 4.3L
Workshop manual

English United States (en-US)

$ 59,00
Per Unit: $ 59,00

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Keywords/Properties
4.3GI-Q, 4.3GL-G, 4.3GL-GF, 4.3GL-J, 4.3GL-JF, 4.3GL-P, 4.3GXi-G, 4.3GXi-GF, 4.3GXi-J, 4.3GXi-JF, 4.3GXi-P, 4.3GXi-Q, 4.3GXiE-225-R, 4.3GXiE-225-S, 4.3GXiE-M, 4.3GXiE-P, 4.3GXiE-Q, 4.3Gi-200-R, 4.3Gi-200-S, 4.3GiE-Q, 4.3OSi-G, 4.3OSi-GF, 4.3OSi-J, 4.3OSi-JF, V6-200-A, V6-225-A, V6-225-E-A

It doesn't specifically list the PWTR part of my model though. Is this the right manual? If not can you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks
Rick

[/FONT]

alldodge

Staff member
I'm finding the same number 7748084. Could call the local VP dealer and see what they say. or maybe Fun Times can advise

JustJason

Vice Admiral
There are 3 manuals needed for the engine. 3850076 is for the engine block. 3850077 is for the electric, ignition and fuel systems. 3850078 is for the EFI system. If you want the manual for the drive that is 7743008

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you for the numbers. i have a couple of follow up questions. Since mine is carbureted I won't need the efi manual right? Also, are these the best manuals to buy for a newbie boat owner who is going to try to take care of as much maintenance as I can myself?
Thanks

Fun Times

Staff member
Since mine is carbureted I won't need the efi manual right?
Good catch!
While the EFI manual part number 3850078 is listed for many Carbureted (non EFI) engines models on page iii & iv including your 4.3GLPWTR engine model, there is nothing within that manual that is of any use/or value to your carbureted engine model...It's mostly all for heavy EFI diagnostics.

These OEM manuals are pretty much straight to the point of the info needed to do the job correctly. They don't offer much for tips of how to go about doing something like sometimes found within an aftermarket manual. If working on engine equipment is new to you in general or just like to have extra tips to read before digging in, then it's not uncommon for many to have both OEM and a few of the aftermarket books on hand to compare notes of the area you plan to be working on.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Check out this website- boatinfo.com.

They have many engine and outdrive manuals that you can review and download if you wish.

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Great resource thank you. I ordered a used seloc for starters to go along with the online workbench manuals.
I am debating whether to go ahead and change the oil filter, oil, fuel filter, carb filter, and even grease the u joint and gimbal bearing, which means removing the outdrive. Once in there I understand I would want to check the alignment also. So removing the outdrive might be a little more than I can bite off just starting out.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Removing the drive seems overwhelming at first but once you do it you realize how simple it really is. I now remove mine each season for maintenance and re-painting. The main thing is having a good cart to put it on. Those can be built rather easy and cheap.

pangolin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the encouragement. I also worry about actually finding a problem, then what. Better to find out early though, just like going to the dreaded dr. i suppose.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks for the encouragement. I also worry about actually finding a problem, then what. Better to find out early though, just like going to the dreaded dr. i suppose.

Better to find a problem when the boat is at home on the hard in your driveway vs when your 5 miles from nowhere on the water