BOAT NOT FIRING

normanr25

Seaman
Hi All
I have an AQ130C with new coil new plug leads new electronic ignition and new fuel pump also just fitted a new Webber 32/36 DGV carb.

I have had so many starting problems with this boat it is driving me round the bend, what I am getting now is I set everything up a week ago and it fired first turn of the key set tickover and throttle adjustment and took the boat for a good run starting and stopping and it started every time.

I went down Saturday and would not fire tried 4 or 5 times with no luck so checked everything again I have a very strong spark so electrics is good, disconnected the fuel pump turned engine over and plenty of fuel coming through, took filter off carb and operated the throttle and the carb is showing the jet as delivering fuel.

I phoned the supplier of the carb and he was adamant it would not be a carb problem due to the fact it run well the week before so I said could I not have a blocked jet and he said no and said it was probably a fuel pump problem although as I said it is a brand new pump made for this engine but he still said not a carb problem.

So I am in badly need of some help here, I have not tested the pump for correct PSI which Webber recommends 3.5 PSI but as I said it was running really well last week I have checked the plugs and they are bone dry and I might add they are also new so fuel is not getting to the plugs clean fuel also so can anybody with carb experience help me out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
3 things you need to run a motor are spark, fuel and compression.

you state that you have spark..... is the motor timed correctly?
you have fuel spraying due to the accelerator pump. so we know that the needle/seat/float is allowing fuel into the carb, and the accelerator circuit is working.
check the fuel for water

alldodge

Staff member
Dumb question, I know you said you have good spark, but have you checked the kill switch?

normanr25

Seaman
Thanks fellas!
No water found in fuel. Fresh fuel in a clean tank, compression checked about 2 months ago and all fine. Timing I must double check that because I have been playing about with that but as I said in the post a week ago the engine was running fine and nothing had been touched prior to it not starting.

I need to check the fuel pump because these webber carbs need 3.5 PSI and ALLDodge This is an inboard engine so no kill switch. Thanks for your advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

normanr25

Seaman
It was from the spark plugs, have checked all the electrics I have two coils which are both testing OK with the the meter and as I said one is brand new and a good strong spark from the plugs

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No water found in fuel. Fresh fuel in a clean tank
how did you test the fuel?

compression checked about 2 months ago and all fine. Timing I must double check that because I have been playing about with that but as I said in the post a week ago the engine was running fine and nothing had been touched prior to it not star.

it also ran 2 months ago. check the compression and verify the timing

I need to check the fuel pump because these webber carbs need 3.5 PSI and ALLDodge This is an inboard engine so no kill switch. Thanks for your advice.

you can check all you want, however if you have fuel in the carb that sprays like you say, then you have fuel to the carb, which would at least fire.

you can even get a motor to fire without a carburetor if you put fuel in a spray bottle to atomize it. in fact, open the thottle, spray a bit of fuel down there and try it.

with the AQ130 being an overhead cam motor, if the timing belt jumped, you could still have spark, fuel could still spray, however you wouldnt have proper timing or compression

Last edited:

normanr25

Seaman
AQ130C does not have a timing belt timing chain, as you say next step is spray some fuel in to carb that will be my next job when I can get down to the boat again

Fun Times

Staff member
AQ130C does not have a timing belt timing chain.
This engine model has timing gears that mesh together.
imgSymbolDot.gif
Camshaft gear
Out of production
imgSymbolDot.gif
Crankshaft gear
Out of production
4284.jpg

http://boatinfo.no/lib/volvo/manuals/aq130_170.html#/24
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Mari...on_id.532563991--store_id.366--view_id.765086