Riser & manifold questions for 5.7 GS Volvo small block

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, It has come time that I feel I need to replace my manifolds and risers. The boat is entering its 17th year , I am in the Pacific Northwest and in the chuck 24/7. However I have entering my 5th year owning the boat, previous it was fresh water with only 442 hrs up to Dec 2012, and used about 5 mths a year since new then winterized and stored. Once I bought the boat I pulled the risers off and they looked real good so back on they went with new gaskets and I added neutra salt.

Now I would like to replace the risers and manifolds and am contemplating aftermarket , HGE or Barr, the cost difference is significant and I am curious what the life is with the Barr product. Also curious on HGE welectro deposition coating.

Anyways some say go OEM but it is almost double the cost, should I save the cash ? Reasons not to consider aftermarket. I do plan to own the boat at least another 3+ years before we go bigger

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Barr and Osco are foundries that also make OEM parts for Volvo, Mercruiser, PCM, etc. HGE doesn't. Between the choices of Barr and HGE, I would go Barr.

However before you spend money, inspect what you have. 5 years in salt with appropriate flushing and your manifolds may still have 5 years left.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
I only boat in fresh water...I bought the HGE (risers) and so far so good...that being said, if you boat in salt water, I'd recommend OEM or Barr...

I agree with Mr. Danforth, check what you got, if properly flushed, you might see 5 years or better?

SeaEsta-12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Go BARR. I have used them many times, and they fit perfectly and the machining is perfect. Just as using OEM.
My advice, stay away from Chinese junk!! they dont fit well and the money saved is not worth the time and headaches.

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Barr and Osco are foundries that also make OEM parts for Volvo, Mercruiser, PCM, etc. HGE doesn't. Between the choices of Barr and HGE, I would go Barr.

However before you spend money, inspect what you have. 5 years in salt with appropriate flushing and your manifolds may still have 5 years left.

Yes i agree i was thinking to inspect, i guess this can be done while in the water as well. I do t want to inspect while out on the hard this spring to find i need to risers and manifolds and i dont have parts on hand. A Barr complete kit is $750 shipped, some great savings on what everyone says is a solid replacement. I do have some very minor weeping at the riser gasket but i am guessing this could be due to fact it was not retorqued since replaced so i guess i could check and retorque.

Aside from a leg service w impeller there is nothing else that comes to mind that should be addressed, i am now just shy off 700hrs entering my 5 th year in the salt. Last had a full leg mechanical service w bellows, gimbal and bearings due to some water intrusion in 2013. Leg oil changed every 100hrs or no later than 1-1.5 yr . Following mechanical service the leg was inspected and all was good. What else should one consider besides tuning props and adjusting carb, oil and filter/water separator and impeller which i do annually along w bottom paint, and zincs changed 2 x annually? Thermostat was also replaced and in summer boat always runs at about 160-170 max. Simplest method to change coolant is? I need to find a manual on my engine w serial #4110196196. Is it recommended to flush power steering fluid and trim tab fluids?

Last is there in an inline fuel filter?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you check by unbolting the riser from the manifold and inspecting both riser and manifold. if the thickness is still within limits, you draw a file across the gasket surfaces to clean them up and install new gaskets.

never just retorque weeping gaskets.

make sure you pull the prop at least once a year and grease the shafts with prop grease.

no inline fuel filter like you are thinking. there is a fuel/water separating filter on the filter head located by the motor, usually on the starboard side. the fuel filter should be an annual service interval.

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
you check by unbolting the riser from the manifold and inspecting both riser and manifold. if the thickness is still within limits, you draw a file across the gasket surfaces to clean them up and install new gaskets.

never just retorque weeping gaskets.

make sure you pull the prop at least once a year and grease the shafts with prop grease.

no inline fuel filter like you are thinking. there is a fuel/water separating filter on the filter head located by the motor, usually on the starboard side. the fuel filter should be an annual service interval.

I was misunderstood, yes I know in order to check manifolds and risers I have to remove and inspect, what I meant is that after the initial rider removal and new gasket following start up I should have retorqued which I never did. I pull and regrease annually and replace fuel/water separator same , actually 2 x a year I do dependent on hours, may be over serviced in that aspect but it is cheap