Water Separated in Gear Oil

Hello Boaters,

When I checked my gear oil in a an Volvo Penta out drive (DPII) I found about 6-8 Oz of water when I pulled my bottom drain plug. After that the oil was good and not diluted down with water. Anyone seen that before? Usually when I bring water in the gearbox my oil is shot, water mixed in the oil. In this case the water was separated on the bottom. I found about 6-8 oz of water when I pulled my bottom drain plug. After that the oil was good and not diluted down with water. Anyone seen that before? Usually when I bring water in the gearbox the oil is shot, water mixed in the oil. (milky) In this case the water was separated on the bottom.

Looking for advise, is this some sort of condensation? Oil sat for about 30 days from last run before I checked it.Is this enough time to separate? I'm using a synthetic oil.

Shaft seals and seals for cooling system in the drive were done last year.

Last edited:

mr 88

Commander
I would post this in the Volvo forum. Yes the water will separate after sitting,even more so with 90 Weight. No its not condensation,you have a bad seal/pitted shaft would be my guess.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard

You have a leaking seal somewhere

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I have never heard of the oil and water separating, but I would think it is possible if the drive sat idle for enough time. It sounds like you have a bad seal somewhere despite just having them replaced last year. Check the seals and O rings. Do a pressure and vacuum test on the unit to see if you can locate.