Vp 275 paint question

Darrenmb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Nkt sure if this belongs in this section as its not really a repair, but i will be pulling the outdrive tomorrow as part of a transom repair, leg looks like its been painted more than a few times, various shades of white and different ways too, i see orange peel in areas and brush marks in others, my question is after i get it sand blasted, can i powder coat it,or do i need a specific paint? Boat is trailer kept, and will see mainly fresh water but may occasionally see salt..
Thanks in advance for any help.

Darren

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I guess you can have it powder coated. But then you have to have it totally stripped and nothing inside that would be effected by the baking heat. Powder coat would hold up well in both water conditions, but so does other coatings and paints. So it really boils down to personal preference. JMHO

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Agreed, have to completely disassemble the outdrive to powdercoat, and if you scratch thru while reassembling, corrosion will get under the powdercoat and peal it off.

Moeller makes a kit with zinc primer and paint

I prefer to paint the sections with a single coat. Assemble, then paint the whole thing with 2 more coats