Oil marine pump recomendations for Volvo 4.3 GXI-E

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Going to attempt to change my own oil on my 4.3 GXI-E. Can anyone recommend the best manual pump for this? Lots of options online, not looking to spend the $150 for the fancy ones; hoping there is a reasonable hand pump that works effectively.

Also, should I be able to pull out all 5 quarts (assuming that I also drain the filter) or will there be burn off?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,.... I've got this one, a Mity-vac, but I can't find 'em listed here at iboats mega-mall,....

MTY-7400.jpg

I Love it, 'n use it for many things other than just changin' boat motor oil,....
It does suck 99% of the oil out,...

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does the Volvo 4.3 dipstick tube require a specific adapter?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I used one of these Jabsco pumps for years before I bought an electric pump. The bottom of it has the hose fitting you need. Iboats carries it but you should have them price match to some of the lower prices on the net.

bc62734b785958a28d42a35a297a9c22.500

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I installed a remote oil drain hose in the bottom of my pan and have never looked back.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
OP can't do that since the dipstick tube goes into the drain hole.

learned something new every day. my 5.7 VP had the dipstick shoved into the block. the new motor will have a custom made hose to the 7.7 liter custom pan

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I use the same one Bondo noted and it works great everytime. But as he said, it doesn't appear to be sold on iboats.
They do have similar ones that'll likely work just as well....
http://www.iboats.com/Oil-Fluid-Extr...iew_id.1791237
Should come with all the fittings and hose extensions you need.
Hopefully, comes with the garden hose adapter. If not, I am sure you can make one to fit. Kinda dumb to insert the skinny hose down the dipstick of a Volvo that has the fitting.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Buy a cheap ac vacume pump. Small grill propane tank or ac refrigerant tank. Drill and install a drain with valve high on the tank. Install an ac or tire valve about 3/4 level on tank. Pull 30lbs vacume on tank it will draw cold oil out of an engine faster than you can drop it out the plug. Use an air compresser to pressurize tank and deposit old oil in your choice of containers. Not the cheapest method but cheaper and better than any pump I have used before.

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have found on both Volvos I have owned that I never got more than 4.5 quarts out of them when I changed the oil and that includes what was trapped in the filter. Neither drank any oil. It does come out much easier when it's warmed up and the Jabsco pump above is easily available and works just fine..No need to worry about the little bit (if any) that remains unless it looks like yoohoo (has water in it) .

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I have found on both Volvos I have owned that I never got more than 4.5 quarts out of them when I changed the oil and that includes what was trapped in the filter. Neither drank any oil. It does come out much easier when it's warmed up and the Jabsco pump above is easily available and works just fine..No need to worry about the little bit (if any) that remains unless it looks like yoohoo (has water in it) .

I`m glad to hear that someone else has experienced this same problem. I never get five quarts out of mine and if I put five quarts in it it always reads overfilled on the dip stick. I wish mine were equipped with the remote drain hose option, maybe then I could get it all out.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I wish mine were equipped with the remote drain hose option, maybe then I could get it all out.
Of course the remote drain hose would be attached to the exact place that your current dipstick tube is connected to so it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
I get ~5 quarts out if I remove the oil filter first and wait about 1h. My Volvo engines are a bit slow to return all the oil in the pan.

Moeller sells a pump similar to the Mityvac but comes with a garden hose fitting. Hose down to the dipstick works great IF you can reach the bottom of the pan. Something impossible to do on some engines as the hose doesn't flex enough to overcome dipstick tube angles (ie: my friend Merc 6.2MX).

Below is an interesting thread on how to connect Mityvac or PELA oil extractor to a garden hose fitting:

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...connect-fluid-extractor-to-threaded-dip-stick

Beware that on some engines, you'll need a female adaptor with a neck long enough to clear the center dipstick tube. I took mine off a broken hand pump similar to the Jabsco previously posted. I bought a longer tube so I can keep the pump outside the boat on a flat surface.

On the unlikely case you have a dual dipstick configuration, make sure the second dipstick has a good seal. I temporarily use a tight carburetor vent port plug on mine. Otherwise, it's sucking air bubbles.

Jabsco type works great but I find it less practical as you have to deal with a recipient while pumping. With the Mityvac/PELA you pump few strokes and go have a beer with no worry of a mess.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
With a Volvo, it's not advisable to put the tube down the dipstick since the area of the dipstick tube is likely 4 times the area of a tube you would put down it. Makes the oil sucking operation WAY slower.

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
I see what you mean. Mine is a regular dipstick tube with a hose thread at the end. At the bottom of the pan, I have a fitting where the two dipsticks tube reaches. The oil reading is from the oil filling back in the tube at the same level as in the pan. The dipsticks don't go inside the pan. Impossible to have an accurate reading unless the engine is dead cold. Also If the dipstick tube is disturbed a little, then reading will never be accurate. I don't know what Volvo engineers were thinking. This is one aspect of my engines I hate the most.

Anyways just for not having to deal with a messy pump tube, possibility of not fully reaching the bottom, chances of breaking it inside the dipstick tube worth getting the threaded type. I wish Mityvac and PELA would include it with their pump or make it available as an accessory.

I keep my unmodified hose for my ZF transmissions.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The Volvo system is the same one that was on my OMC cobra and I think it's easily the best system. I get all the oil out of my 7.4L as I did with my OMC 5.0L.

Doesn't matter if the dipstick doesn't go in the pan. The level in the tube is exactly what it is in the pan.