Torn Bellows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancin57

Recruit
I have a 2016 regal 28 with a 300 Horsepower Volvo V8 300 EVC Catalyst DP with only 30 hours on it. The dealer said the bellows have a tear in them requiring them to be replaced along with the ujoint. Blamed it on us saying that we must not have put the outdrive all the way down every time we started the engine. Regal is making us pay for the repair and if not done by them, it could violate our warranty. Interested in thoughts on their allegation that we caused it as well as violating the warranty.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Dancin57 Welcome aboard.

Your new thread. Please read the Help Tip on top of the page about posting to inactive topics. Thanks.

Thalasso

Commander
So did you ever start the engine with the drive all the way up?

Won't tear the bellows though. In fact once or twice with the drives all the way up and not above idle most likely won't hurt the u-joints.
I would find another dealer. There hoodwinking him

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2016 regal 28 with a 300 Horsepower Volvo V8 300 EVC Catalyst DP with only 30 hours on it. The dealer said the bellows have a tear in them requiring them to be replaced along with the ujoint. Blamed it on us saying that we must not have put the outdrive all the way down every time we started the engine. Regal is making us pay for the repair and if not done by them, it could violate our warranty. Interested in thoughts on their allegation that we caused it as well as violating the warranty.

At first blush seems like a bunch of hog-wash to me. Have you spoken to Regal directly concerning this? Additionally, keep in mind you are not required to use that dealer for your warranty work. I think I'd be looking elsewhere.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I would look at the documentation you got with the boat. This seems more like a Volvo-Penta issue, not a Regal claim.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would likely call Volvo Penta directly at this point.

Thalasso

Commander
I think the dealer is trying to pull a fast one. The corporate office(regal) should hear about this. If it's a Volvo manuf problem Regal will resolve it with Volvo. Your issue is with Regal It's there warranty to you

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Could be????
​The starting while up?
The bellows should flex with the drive.
But having the drive up and turned??
​That could do it??
​Sounds like Regals gonna cover it?
So your kinda stuck.
But you can go to another Volvo dealer if there's one close.

Dancin57

Recruit
Thx guys. Will probably go direct to Regal and Volvo if necessary. I never started or ran the boat with the outdrive all the way up. I've read the owners manual that came with the boat and it says nothing about requiring the drive to be all the way down.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
This is BS, so what happens if your enjoying a sandbar somewhere and mistakenly start it with the drive up? The boats sinks?if this is indeed a bellows tearing risk Volvo is stupid.

Fun Times

Staff member
Will probably go direct to Regal and Volvo if necessary.
If you can show other evidence that there is a defect within your transom shield, or boat design, etc. etc. and not user error then you want to directly involve Volvo ASAP as this is more of their problem to "note" even if Regal is to blame somehow as they'd need to work it out together.

At first glance, most of the three parties involve tend to want to blame the owner until proven otherwise not to be the case. Then comes the time factor especially with rubber components for Volvo as they cover themselves well with recommended bellows replacement at 50 hours last I recall it to be. The highlight below is why they tend to not go to deep into every failed U-joint bellows complaint they encounter and if there is really no known issues then usually there's not to much extra effort given to want to help cover the damage even being that new.:(

That mentioned, even if there happens to be known issues, while they'd help you out of course, you're still on limited time because it's a rubber component as you'll be able to see in the following link back when there was a known issue of a different drive system than yours which was documentated even online during the time frame, http://www.my.boatus.com/consumer/pd...sVexOwners.pdf <Again this is just an example for a tight time frame the manufacturers tend to want to go with when it comes to rubber components mostly due to the issues they've encountered over the years.
Transom Shield: Intermediate shaft, intermediate shaft bearing, gimbal bearing, U-joints, drive yoke, steering yoke plus the transom shield and gimbal housing assembly - if damaged beyond repair by a covered component. Coverage excludes water entry related failures caused by holes in or physical damage to rubber U-joint bellows or exhaust bellows.... 2PLUS4 TM New Sterndrive Covered Components

Hope this gets all sorted out for you, good luck.

Closing up this topic to keep things congenial.

Status
Not open for further replies.