volvo penta 4.3 exhaust manifold

zorbas1953

Recruit
Hello, i am new to this forum and also new to boating. I purchased a 1998 Regal 1950 lsc with a volvo pent 4.3 engine. I need to replace the exhaust manifolds and risers because they are cracked and rusted. I have been looking around on the internet and i would like to know what is the difference between the volvo manifolds and the mercruiser, Omc, ,Barr, Hge and all others that would fit that engine. I know the risers are interchangeable and some of the other makers have water restriction gaskets that are a bit different than the Volvo. Since I'm new to boating and i want to give it a try I dont want to spend a lot of money. If i could find something cheaper in good condition other than brand new I'm willing to give it a try. Can anyone shed some light on this? Will i be able to install another make of manifold as the Volvo penta are kind of expensive.
thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... You can go with aftermarket parts designed for yer Volvo,....

If ya go with Mercruiser or OMC designs, the accessory holes won't be where ya need 'em for yer Volvo,....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The Volvo and OMC are the exact same thing if from similar vintage as the Y pipe is in the same spot. Aftermarket Barrs will work as well. I believe in using OEm manifolds as I feel they last longer.

Just stay away from GLM

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The aftermarket as well as the NEW are being made in China and it's a crap shoot as to how long they are gonna last??

​My springs on my trailer lasted over 20 years.
That was dunking in salt water and fresh.
They finally rotted away.

I replaced with Calkins springs.
​One rotted away within 1 and 1/2 years.
The other 3 lasted just over 2 years.

​The problem is you aren't really assured of anything lasting very long now that everything is made in China.

Osco manifolds are still made in the US.

Google Look it up.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...s.aspx&usg=AFQjCNGq7Hav-G67HqThaI1OJ5FEMZznlQ

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've used Barr, Osco, and Sierra with no problems at all. I too, share the opinion and have seen the poor quality of GLM. Don't try to swap Mercruiser stuff for Volvo cuz as Bondo mentions above, things won't line up properly when you re-assemble it all.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
I got new risers (HGE) off ebay for $169.95.They are not as nice as my original (VP) risers in quality, but have run them ~80 hours (all freshwater) without any issues? I will pull them at the end of next season and see how they're holding up?

Biergarden

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

You might want to consider going with stainless steel. The cost was marginally more, but they will last forever and might even improve the performance and fuel consumption as well. These are Hi-tek I ordered and installed.

Attachments

• photo256680.jpg
    photo256680.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1

johnnoble.jax

Recruit
I just replaced the original manifolds on my 05 5.0 Volvo Penta GXI-E for the first time. Just bought the boat. It was used mostly in brackish water. They were ready. I went with the Barr kit. Couple of things I learned from my research:

Talked to Barr - they recommended the OEM metal gaskets at the riser connection over the paper ones they ship in the kit.
The OEM metal gasket instructions say to sand the surface between the riser and lower manifold followed by rubbing alcohol.
I used Permatex spray on sealer on the joint - per the lighthouse marine youtube video
If you opt to use the Barr paper gasket the Barr engineer said to torque it to 36-38 ft-lbs in lieu of 27 ft-lbs indicated in the SELOC Service Manual - which is for the OEM gasket.
I recommend using a 2" die grinder with 120 grit sand paper (bought mine from wal-mart) to remove the remains of the old gasket after using a chisel for most of it
I also recommend soaking the old bolts in PB blaster the night before you take them off
I bought a couple of 3/8" bolts per other recommendations and cut the heads off to aid installing the new manifolds, was glad I did.
I sprayed one side of the new gasket at the riser, laid it in place and then sprayed the other side.

Thanks for all the tips on these forms - was a big help in preparing for the project