Motor mounts and risers

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks I'm gonna look into the tool as it doesn't seem as though the jam nut will work. Another question is my front mount is corroded as far being able to adjust later on it might not work as well as it should. I looked up replacement for them but WOW they are pricey!! Could I just swap the bolt out with a 5/8 grade 8 bolt with new hardware?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Thanks I'm gonna look into the tool as it doesn't seem as though the jam nut will work. Another question is my front mount is corroded as far being able to adjust later on it might not work as well as it should. I looked up replacement for them but WOW they are pricey!! Could I just swap the bolt out with a 5/8 grade 8 bolt with new hardware?

Personally I would order new (price aside). That's one piece of hardware I wouldn't want to take a chance? Ebay has used ones for $29.99-$49.99 a set? I don't think it's just a bolt...I think is a stud mounted in a ball-socket or something?

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have you tried some heat around the area of the studs? I would spray some PB Blaster on all the studs and let in work for a day, then use a Propane Torch on the block around the studs, then back them out using your Jam Nut method. Just be sure to heat the block area around the studs and not direct heat on the Studs themselves. Good Luck..

Bondo

Staff member
I do have a question as to what these bolts are called and how they come out. I assumed I could use a jam nut to get them off.

Ayuh,.... Those are studs, 'n probably held in place by loc-tite,....

Abit of heat to the base of the stud should allow 'em to come out usin' the double nuts,....
Cinch the nuts good, 'n tight, then turn the bottom nut out,....
Another question is my front mount is corroded as far being able to adjust later on it might not work as well as it should. I looked up replacement for them but WOW they are pricey!! Could I just swap the bolt out with a 5/8 grade 8 bolt with new hardware?

If ya take 'em completely apart, you can probably save 'em by wire-wheelin' the adjuster stud clean,.... then grease 'em,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the stud is a socket and ball deal with a bit of urethane in there. new mounts are not that much.