Motor mounts and risers

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A quick background...my crankshaft broke on my original motor. The boat is a 2006 Four Winns horizon 210 with a volvo penta gi-f. So I bought a replacement long block and brought my boat to a 40 year mechanic to swap it out. I got a call today from him telling me that the motor mounts are too corroded and he can't do the swap?!? Does this sound legit? Motor mounts I thought were replaceable so not sure why this is a show stopper. Can anyone help me understand why this would be a show stopper other than just not wanting to do it? The other thing he told was my risers are bad that's why I'm in this position. Can anyone recommend a good place to get replacement risers? Thanks for any and all help.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Saltwater boat,..??

Which motor,..??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the motor mounts are about $40 a piece online. the brackets are a bit more

the manifolds and risers are generally replaced every 5 years on a salt-water boat

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. I'm at the point where I'm about to try to do this myself. If it wasn't for the fact that I didn't have a garage I would have tried already. I'm not a mechanic by any means but I am mechanically inclined ( maybe enough to just get myself in trouble ) lol. Is there any books like a Haynes book for cars that would help since I can't seem to find someone to do the work:( I can't take to a shop because they want to supply the motor at a price close to 3x what I was able to get for.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
A ... Motor mounts I thought were replaceable .. not wanting to do it? The other thing he told was my risers are bad that's why I'm in this position....

Almost everything is replaceable, maybe he just doesn't want to replace whatever has to be replaced. Or maybe just not for the $ and time you had agreed on. Or maybe it's just not worth it. Some mechanics don't want to get into structural work.Without seeing your situation, it's impossible to verify from here if you need new risers or not. Some pics might help. You may want to just replace anyway, but sometimes a little refurb work will get a few more years out of them. But that can be a gamble

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The boat is 2006 and is in very good condition other then the motor running... The money wasn't negotiated other then a starting price to swap the long block with the understanding that other things might need to be replaced and money would of course go up as did parts and work. I will get some pics uploaded when I get the boat back. I was just looking for a good spot to purchase risers if anyone had one. The mechanic had his secretary ( wife ) text me that I needed to come pick up the boat that it was too corroded to work on. The motor is definitely not severely or even more then normal corroded it in fact looks pretty good. As for the mounts I personally didn't look at them prior to dropping boat off but with talking with him when I did drop it off about he is a head mechanic at a local boat shop and the confidence he had he seemed knowledgeable. And then to get texted not even called later to pick up and not even by him was a serious kick in the n$ts especially since I now have a brand new long block and no mechanic... I am just unsure how mounts could be so bad you cant motor out... Now like I said before I am definitely not a mechanic but seems like a very suspect reason and I was seeing if someone else had any other insight in to this and maybe ran into something like this before. I assume they are bolted to boat and bolted to motor on other side so couldn't they just be cut to get motor out and then easily removed from boat side after motor was out? or am I way off?

Bondo

Staff member
I am just unsure how mounts could be so bad you cant motor out... Now like I said before I am definitely not a mechanic but seems like a very suspect reason and I was seeing if someone else had any other insight in to this and maybe ran into something like this before. I assume they are bolted to boat and bolted to motor on other side so couldn't they just be cut to get motor out and then easily removed from boat side after motor was out? or am I way off?

Ayuh,..... It Could be the wooden mounts in the boat that the iron mounts bolt to are rotten,.....

It Could be the threaded adjustment part of the iron mounts are so rusted they ain't adjustable,...

It Could be alota things, call yer mechanic, 'n ask him,...
We can't read his mind,....

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did call him he was the one that told me the mounts were too corroded to remove the motor..... I wasn't asking for mind reading just looking for any insight if anyone else has had an issue similar to this.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Won't speak for Bondo, but don't think he was insinuating any negativity, only that it can be alot of different reasons why motor mounts could go bad. The mounts are typically installed onto fiberglass encased wood blocks. This wood can rot and therefore not hold the mounts. If this is the case, then there is a possibility there is much more of an issue with the boat "structure" than you think (i.e. transom). I'd ask the mechanic to elaborate on what is exactly "too corroded"...

As far as risers and manifolds; i replaced mine two years ago and bought em here on iboats. Decided to bite the bullet and spend the extra $$ on OEM... Heard not such good reviews on aftermarket but Barr is a manufacturer of aftermarket manifolds.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
... I am just unsure how mounts could be so bad you cant motor out... Now like I said before I am definitely not a mechanic but seems like a very suspect reason and I was seeing if someone else had any other insight in to this and maybe ran into something like this before. I assume they are bolted to boat and bolted to motor on other side so couldn't they just be cut to get motor out and then easily removed from boat side after motor was out? or am I way off?

I don't think you're way off. I got a long block to replace a worn-out motor. The forward motor mounts are lag bolts into wood/glassed blocks on the stringers. So nothing to really be too "corroded" there to be much of a problem. Corrosion, to me, would be deterioration of the metal, not of the wood, I'dd call that rot. The aft mounts are part of the transom mount assembly (on my boat), a bit different. My guess is that there's a communication gap somewhere. Suggest you get eyes on the situation, and post lots of pics - then you may get more help from the good people here at iBoats.

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the boat back last night. I pulled all the seats out and was able to get in and see for myself. I took pics but for some reason they won't upload they just tell me I've exceeded size limit...... it's just a normal pic from phone. The mounts aren't severely corroded at all nothing more then normal. He told me when I picked it up that he also couldn't get to back motor mounts. I have 2 obvious ones up front and the rear ones look like they bolt to transmission or something similar as they don't bolt to floor. Does that sound right? I will keep trying to upload the pics hopefully it will work

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
The chap you took it to seems to not have much experience working on boats and didn't want to mess with it. It's not all that difficult pull the motor yourself provided you have a place to work on it and the availability of an A-frame or a hoist that will get high enough to remove the motor. Just have to take your time and get everything un hooked and marked to make it easier to reconnect. You basically have the water hose at the power steering cooler, the big battery cable that goes to the starter, your exhaust Risers the main engine harness, and then your motor mount bolts. 2 in the back and the 2 up front. I might have missed an item or two but I you go out and really have good look you'll see that it isn't all that bad especially if your luck enough to have a boat that has good access to and around the motor and the motor is able to be dropped or pulled straight out and not slid or "Shoe Horned" in..Good luck.

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Here's the motor mounts in the back sorry it's a bad pic but it's buried back there is have to resize one more it's a little better and there is the motor. It's a VP gi-f 2006 5.7l

Attachments

• photo256021.jpg
    photo256021.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256022.jpg
    photo256022.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 0

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Here is a pic of the other side of rear motor mount...well what I am thinking is the motor mounts. Does that look like one?

Attachments

• photo256023.jpg
    photo256023.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 0

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm sure someone will chime in on the photos... kinda difficult to see for me. Top of the volvo forum is an Adults Only sticky - click on that then on the "volvo penta information" link; scroll down to "online OEM service manuals" http://boatinfo.no/lib/volvo/manuals/5057a-f.html#/218

Section 7 has the info you'll need.

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, that is the rear mount in the picture.. One bolt on each side.

Matt9712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Well I got the motor out. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I wish posting pics wasn't as painful to put on here because I have taken about 100 pics of the motor coming out and apart to help me put back and might help someone else later down the road. I do have a question as to what these bolts are called and how they come out. I assumed I could use a jam nut to get them off. The held the flywheel on. Buy when I look up flywheel bolts they don't appear to be the same thing.

Attachments

• photo256109.jpg
    photo256109.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 0

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
You can purchase a tool for removing studs from snap-on or others...they're pricey? If you can take the block to a local engine rebuilder and they will most likely have the set? When I pulled motor out in my Chris Craft, my engine re-builder pulled the old ones in about a minute...otherwise, a jam-nut might work...they're in there pretty good!