Using air gun when winterizing??

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys. I'm going to go head tomorrow and drain the block , manifolds , seapump, water pump. For the winter... and was just wondering if any body try's to get all the moisture out of the block and manifolds. By by blowing them out with air gun nozzle to prevent rust while sitting the next 4 months.. Or is this just a complete wast of time

Bondo

Staff member
Or is this just a complete wast of time

Ayuh,.... It ain't 'bout moisture, as ambient air has moisture, 'n condensation will cause water droplets,....

It's 'bout gettin' enough water out so that when it freezes, it can't push out on the block, bustin' cracks in it,.....

If you live to be 100, the block ain't gonna rust out,....

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok. Yea I got all the water out. And I'm glade to hear not a big deal with the rusting of the block. And I guess the manifolds as well then. Only have ever been Infresh water.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... 40, 50 years isn't unheard of for exhaust manifolds in freshwater,.....

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Damn. Ok. That will work. Thank you sir. I'll stop being so. OCD.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Nothing wrong with CDO (OCD in correct alphabetical order) when it comes to winterizing

Prior to draining the block, did you change oil? Change gear lube? Pull drive to lubricate and inspect the u-joints, gimble and bellows? Check alignment?

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes sir. Did all that. I only had about 15hours s on the engine oil and it still looked golden from the summertime oil change. So I didn't change it. But did everything else with oils and filters. Marine stabil. Which I run in the tank 100 percent of the time. I drained. "Block both sides ". Mani's , sea pump. And water pump. Sea pump impeller replaced last summer. That's it right?

Bondo

Staff member
I drained. "Block both sides ". Mani's , sea pump. And water pump. Sea pump impeller replaced last summer. That's it right?

Ayuh,.... If you've got P/S, there's a cooler in the in-comin' water line that oughta be drained as well,....

And the raw water pump itself,...

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ummm. Yes. It does have power steering. But I had no ideal abotba water line for that one. We're about s would it be. And hoe big/ long. ?? Thanks. I'll look in my selco repair manual also.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... If ya follow the water line from the transom, you'll see it,.....

A round tube with the 2 water lines through it, 'n 2 smaller P/S fluid lines goin', 'n comin' from it,....
Blow it out, or remove 1 of the water hoses,...

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sweet. Thank you. Had no idea

At some point ( I think in the 2000's) they started mounting the PS cooler at an angle so when you unhook the water inlet hose from the raw water pump, the cooler also drains. Might want to make a mental note if yours is that way or not.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
At some point ( I think in the 2000's) they started mounting the PS cooler at an angle so when you unhook the water inlet hose from the raw water pump, the cooler also drains. Might want to make a mental note if yours is that way or not.

True that... mine is a 96 and is mounted at an angle. I still remove the lower hose but nothing ever comes out so I think the angle takes care of any potential water that may be there. It's a B&^$c to get to....

Shaper79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yep check it out and your right , the PS cooler is at an angle so when I pull The hoses off the sea pump it drained the PS cooler... now I just need a good boat cover to hold up to the AZ ☀️