Volvo EVC-D Steering Actuator Failing - Rebuildable?

V335

Recruit
Hello All,

I have a 2011 Four Winns V335 that I just picked up over the summer. We noticed a noise from the power steering actuator on the port engine on the survey, and perhaps foolishly did not investigate the price of the cylinder! After taking delivery, we fixed a few leaking power steering lines, which I believe explains two things.

The port engine had 3 less hours than starboard. I would be willing to bet that the power steering line came loose one day, and rendered the steering useless causing the previous owner to limp in on one engine. I know it is a wild guess, but it may also explain the horrific noise coming from the actuator.

The issue I am now having is that I do not know if I should consider replacing it before it fails. I know these EVC drives can contact the neighboring drive if they fail in a "hard over" scenario, and that does concern me. The noise is absolutely coming from the actuator. I would have taken a video but the boat is now winterized. It sounds like a dried up seal, but it is loud enough that nearly all passengers have asked why it sounds like a dinosaur is inside my bilge.

I see the cylinder is north of $3,000 (21243557). I am wondering if anyone has seen a failure from these before, or if they have any idea of the serviceability. I cannot find a single topic about these cylinders failing, which is both comforting and concerning at the same time.

The engines are 5.7 GIE-300P's and the drives are DPS-A 1:95's.

Also - one off topic question. The starboard drive shifts with a slight bang, conversely the port drive is silent. I knew this was another thing to be concerned about, but we got the boat for a very good price. In the winterization process I noticed the drive which shifts with a bang was overfilled by about 1/3 of the dipstick length. Just shooting for an opinion here - what are the odds that is causing the bang?\

Thanks guys! Wish it was summer already!