Volvo Penta 4.3 carb revving high after a run

alldodge

Staff member
Or remove the linkage between the two and see if each one moves freely

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
There was something about this on a YouTube video I seen....I'm assuming it's a Holley carb?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Does it slow down to idle speed then speed up when shifted to neutral? Or does it just hold the higher while still in gear? If so verify that the secondaries are fully closing. The throttle plates are a little offcenter to ensure they close as manifold vacuum goes up, but sometimes the shafts get gummed up and don't close fully

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
It's holds rpms in gear but not stupidly because of the load of the drive train. If you take it out of gear, it shoots up.
The carb isn't a Holley...can't quite remember, think it's a Rochester.
The back two barrels are definitely causing the fault. The carb is off the boat just now for a once over.
What we have found incidentally is that the drive had a fair amount of water in it. The cone clutch may be slippping too. It also seemed to jump into gear when cold and took a while to engage when warm. No doubt a separate issue, but not helping.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If it is a Rochester, then it will be a Quadrajet. It uses mechanical secondaries, with an Air Valve. The secondary throttle after is connected to the primary shaft through a spring loaded linkage, where the secondary shaft is locked from rotating while the choke is on. Once the choke opens fully, the interlock is released and the secondaries will open now as the shaft can now rotate. The secondaries will open fully when the throttle shoved all the way to fast, irregardless of the engine rpm. Little air flows through the secondaries until the engine speeds up enough for the proper pressure difference on the secondary air valve to open slightly, riding on a cam that turns as the air valve opens is a hanger connected to the fuel metering rods for the secondaries. the more the air valve opens, the higher the metering rods are raised. You may have something holding the secondaries open the slightest bit at idle, but becauae manifold vacuum is high when the throttle is at idle, enough air can get past the air valve-carb body to cause issues, especially the if the choke pulloff/airvalve damper is leaking or not connected to manifold vacumm. However, I would also be looking for any vacuum hose, either disconnected or leaking, Marine carbs are generally richer than auto carbs so an air leak might not show as a rough idle.

It is possible the auto choke is cooling off and raising the fast idle linkage enough to speed the motor up

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks Jimbo. An expansive knowledge indeed !
It is the Rochester Quadrajet.
The back two barrels are definitely causing the issue as far as I can tell. Like you mention, it seems that the engine vacuum is enough to either overcome the spring or take advantage of some wear on the thorough shaft which connects them.
The carb is off and getting a strip down as we speak.
Hopefully something as simple as that. Not sure how readily spares are available here abouts. Did there mercruiser engine ever use that carb ? There is a mercruiser dealer local, but not VP...
Thanks again.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Mercrusier used the Q-Jet for years, right up to when GM quit making it. They switched Carter/Weber but had to use a very poor adapter plate to fit the square bore Carter/Weber on a spreadbore intake.
So what did the disassembly and inspection reveal?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Jimbo, friend got the carb back today (he put it into local Merc dealer)
It was apparently filthy bad after 26 years on the boat. Sea trial pending. Will keep you updated.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Well if it is clean, not worn, and everything is adjusted to spec, it will be good for many more years. The Q-jet is probably the best engineered carb ever built

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Guys...
Carb back on he boat today and we took her for a quick run...
Very soon it was evident that the same problem persists. Although she seems much more powerful with the rebuilt carb, she still does the revving up thing when returned to neutral.
I'm thinking she still has a vacuum problem, as suggested by Scott (I think)

alldodge

Staff member
Might be, but have you checked that the throttle plate is coming all the way back?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Thinking it's just that bloody old now, vacuum issues an all that from such a worn thing and may be for the tip !

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The choke bimetal isn't cooling off and letting the fast idle cam come up a bit and holding the throttle open?

alldodge

Staff member
Recon I would put a vacuum gauge on it to see what's going on. Still strange that it only revs higher after a run.

Is the carb a Holley?
4bl carb.jpg

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Alldodge.
It's a Rochester quadrajet. Vacuum test is the next way to go, for sure. You are right.
It's not so much after a run (as I first thought), it's just anytime the back two (3rd and 4th) barrels are operators, it stays revving high for a while. Too high to shift into gear anyway.

alldodge

Staff member
it's just anytime the back two (3rd and 4th) barrels are operators, it stays revving high for a while.

Then your secondary's are not closing back down. To verify, do a run, while its idling high, reach back and manually close the secondary's

1qj.jpg

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Alldodge

Been there, done that I'm afraid. It's above somewhere. When I did that, it helped it get down to about 1200rpm idle.
Carb was then rebuilt and the through shaft of the flaps you refer to inspected for wear.
Thanks for this anyway.
Suspecting vacuum problems now.