Volvo AQ130C oil color

normanr25

Seaman
I went to the boat today to put my carbs back on and previous to doing that it has been running really well but when I checked the engine oil to change for the winter service it was a bit cloudy slightly very light coffee color, there was a lot of milky goo in the rocker box cover and the boat has not done any long journeys for a few weeks just started up and left to tick over to get to engine temperature.

I know I could be looking at head gasket problems but does anybody think it could just be condensation due to the fact the rocker box cover was so bad I don't particularly want to start removing the head before I am sure it needs to come off.

Many thanks for any help
Norman

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
change oil, get motor running at temperature for a while and recheck the oil. may just be condensation.

a cooling system pressure and leak test would be my first diagnostic test.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The "milky goo" doesn't form in a short time??
Rocker box pics?
Do a pressure test on the oil cooler.

normanr25

Seaman
Hi Jerry
How do I do a pressure test on the oil cooler never had an inboard before so have never had to do one.

Regards pic of rocker box cover I cleaned it out when I saw all the milky oil in it so clean now.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You'll have to take the cooler off and block one hole and apply a bit of air and see if it leaks.
Too much air pressure can be bad.

normanr25

Seaman
Thanks Jerry
I will do that when I get the time at the moment I have decided to get rid of the Solex 44PAI carbs for the weber twin choke carbs with manifold kit,I am just fed up with the old Solex keep letting me down.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
I would be reluctant to spend the money on the Weber carb setup until I was absolutely sure everything else was in top notch shape.

normanr25

Seaman
Thanks guys for all your advice and help Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Roll on spring and the warmer weather