VP Fuel Cell preventative maintance?

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I have an `08 VP GXI-J engine in my boat with about 350 hours on it. So far I have had no issues with the engine or fuel pump at all. I was thinking that while the boat is in winter storage that it might be a good time to take the fuel pump apart for a good internal cleaning and refurbishing. Am I making a mistake in my thinking? should I just leave it alone since it has not caused any problems? Could I be creating more trouble by tearing it apart?

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wouldn't take it apart unless you have some kind of issue, but that's me. I've replaced mine once, but my boat is a 2001. Only thing I do with it is occasionally put a bit of two cycle oil or Marvel Mystery oil in with the gas, I'd like to think it keeps the thing lubed where there are moving parts, but I kind of doubt it's even necessary. I think the best thing you can do is run it every couple of months, that way you keep the fuel in the pump fresh.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Part of my thought agrees with you," if it aint broke don't fix it mentality". But the other thought is given the history of these pumps is to get in there and check for and clean out any paint deposits that might lead to a future clog.

Blue2005

Seaman Apprentice
Honestly, and I've had to replace my fuel pump already, I wouldn't touch it. If it's still working fine, leave it be.